BUILD Home NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

robuyo

Dabbler
Hi,

I have been reading this forums for almost 2-3 months and now I'm ready to order my hw to build my first FreeNas box.
I need to know if there is any mistake choosing the pieces. I'm going to use the box for file sharing (AFP), backup and some jails.
  • Plex Media Server (There won't be more that 2 users at the same time)
  • OpenVPN + Transmission + SABnzbd + SickRage + CouchPotato
  • Owncloud

The list of hw that I've chosen is:
  • Supermicro MBD-X10SLM+-F-O
  • Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B
  • Intel i3-4330
  • Noctua NH-L9I
  • Fractal Design Define R4
  • Fractal Design Define Mini
  • Seasonic SSR-450RT
  • Seasonic G450RM
  • 2x SanDisk SDCZ33-016G-B35 16 GB (System)
  • 6x Western Digital Digital RED 4TB (RAIDZ2)
  • Western Digital Digital Green 4TB (Backup)
  • Western Digital Digital Black 1TB (Transmission)

It is kind of difficult to find a nice price for the Supermicro board at Spain...
Any feedback will be appreciated, sorry about my english.

Cheers!

Last edited:

robuyo

Dabbler
You should consider not using raidz1 with 4TB disks. Unless you don't care about your data.

Are you suggesting raidz2 or 3TB drives?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
RAIDZ2 is a much better choice.

I'd also go with a Seasonic G-450, it's a bit better than the S12G.

Other than that, everything looks good.

marbus90

Guru
Statistical chance for a Unrecoverable Read Error during rebuild of a 4x4TB raidz is 100%. You don't have redundancy in that case, so the affected file can't be restored. It's less with smaller drives, but that URE can occur at 2TB into the resilver already... even a tiny pool would be hosed. If you have wdidled the WD Green, you can just drop it into a 5x4TB raidz2 array (or pick a 5th Red and use the Green as spare... or go 6disk raidz2 and omit the Black for maximum usable capacity = ~13TiB).

I don't see a reason to go for a Full ATX tower with just 6 disks, you might find the Define Mini or Arc Mini to suit you better. Also a G-360 PSU is more than enough.

Tywin

Contributor
Statistical chance for a Unrecoverable Read Error during rebuild of a 4x4TB raidz is 100%. You don't have redundancy in that case, so the affected file can't be restored.

Caution: pedantry ahead. In a 4 × 4 TB RAIDZ1 vdev, during rebuild you have to read back 3 × 4 TB of data from the remaining drives. The probability of having at least one URE in that span is 1-(1-1e-14)^(3*4e12*8) ~= 62% (assuming a bit URE rate of 1 in 1e14, of course). Keep in mind that this is the "worst case" probability, i.e. most drives have realized URE rates much lower than their specification (of course one could happen at any time, so backups, backups, backups!).

All that said, I would build out a RAIDZ2 given the choice. 62% is non-zero, and going to RAIDZ2 drops the probability of failure due to URE to near-zero. Of course if you have all the stuff you care about backed up, it doesn't really matter, since if the "worst" happens you can just recover from your backup at the expense of uptime and effort.

robuyo

Dabbler
Hi,

Reviewing your feedback I will make the following changes:
  • @Ericloewe I was able to find the Seasonic G-450 at another store, so it will be my choice.
  • I am going into a raidz2 with 6x WD RED 4TB (omg my wallet...)
  • @marbus90 after you said, I have found the Define Mini a better choice for my build.
I have a question regarding to the Noctua, do I need to buy any plastic support appart or it goes directly screwed to the mobo? I mean, I have seen mobo's picture and there is no piece of plastic near the processor place.
EDIT: I think that the Noctua goes direct to the mobo

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
After having a second look at the cooler: not neccessary. the Core i3 doesn't use much energy, with 2-3x 120mm fans in the system that runs well enough with the boxed cooler.

heck, I even cool E3-1275 v3's with these boxed coolers and one 120mm rear exhaust fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.