BUILD Building first FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
^ the IPMI is also shared with the first LAN Port, so no need to throw another cable.

It's better to use two cables, as it keeps the main interface free of IPMI traffic.

marbus90

Guru
not long ago IPMI was only 100mbps anyway. what are <100mbps on a 1000mbps line? nothing big in a home enviroment, since you wouldn't be hogging that bandwith from IPMI 24/7.

GrandBleu

Dabbler
Thanks guys! I will try IPMI later after getting network switch.

I have another issue. I configured FreeNAS with basic stuff with CIFS for Windows sharing and I keep getting network transfer speed of 11~12MB/sec and doesn't go over than that. My wireless router was purchased a year ago and it supports 11n. I'm not sure why I'm not seeing any where close to 100MB/sec. I tried below command to test writing speed

dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024 count=50000

and the result was
50000+0 records in
50000+0 records out
51200000 bytes transferred in 0.217843 secs (235031591 bytes/sec)

That indicates that I should get around 224MB/sec of speed. I have cat5e cables hooked into the wireless router and its four ports are all filled up. Is there anything I can try to get back to normal file transfer speed? If there's anything I can test/try, let me know.

GrandBleu

Dabbler
Thanks guys! I will try IPMI later after getting network switch.

I have another issue. I configured FreeNAS with basic stuff with CIFS for Windows sharing and I keep getting network transfer speed of 11~12MB/sec and doesn't go over than that. My wireless router was purchased a year ago and it supports 11n. I'm not sure why I'm not seeing any where close to 100MB/sec. I tried below command to test writing speed

dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024 count=50000

and the result was
50000+0 records in
50000+0 records out
51200000 bytes transferred in 0.217843 secs (235031591 bytes/sec)

That indicates that I should get around 224MB/sec of speed. I have cat5e cables hooked into the wireless router and its four ports are all filled up. Is there anything I can try to get back to normal file transfer speed? If there's anything I can test/try, let me know.
well I found answer to above question, but if I misunderstand anything feel free to chime in.
My wireless router supports only 100Mbps which is about 10MBps, so it's working as it's supposed to be. I'm waiting for gigabit switch that I'm planning to use and I expect that should give me faster file transfer rate between my FreeNAS box and other computers.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well you figured out what I was just about to post that you check. Sounds about right for transfers occurring over 100Mbps connection. And regardless of what your pool speed it capable of you won't see more than ~100MBps through a 1GbE switch.

GrandBleu

Dabbler
Well you figured out what I was just about to post that you check. Sounds about right for transfers occurring over 100Mbps connection. And regardless of what your pool speed it capable of you won't see more than ~100MBps through a 1GbE switch.
Thanks Jailer! Now I'm tempted to upgrade wireless router to gigabit one. :D

Fraoch

Patron
A gigabit switch will be cheaper and just as good. You'll be hard-pressed to get over 100 Mb/s on wireless anyway.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You shouldn't ever be upset about performance over wifi. Wifi is a convenience technology, not a performance technology. If you are expecting performance, give up on Wifi.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You shouldn't ever be upset about performance over wifi. Wifi is a convenience technology, not a performance technology. If you are expecting performance, give up on Wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.