SOLVED SuperMicro X10 Motherboards + i3 4th Gen Proc Boot Issues?

For those that have SuperMicro X10 Motherboards w/ 4th Gen i3 CPUs, did you have to flash the BIOS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faluzure

Explorer
I've yet to order parts for my NAS, but I'm leaning towards the SuperMicro X10 motherboards. However, I've read several threads on this forum, as well as reviews, about SuperMicro X10 motherboards not booting "out of the box" when paired with 4th Gen Intel i3 processors due to the BIOS needing to be flashed to support the newer processor.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10sll-f-o-will-not-boot.22037/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10sll-f-will-not-boot.23674/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...version-and-intel-haswell-refresh-cpus.23970/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/newbie-build-looking-for-advice-suggestions.22768/

What concerns me is that some forum are not even a month old and the issue is still going on. I've read the issue for the following models:

X10SLM-F-O
X10SLM+-F
X10SLL-F

Even reviews on various sites, such as NewEgg, Amazon, etc have reviews that say the same thing.

I guess my question is, is there any way to get a board with an updated BIOS so I won't run into this problem? I'd hate to waste time by finding out I have to update the BIOS. Unfortunately, I don't have another processor laying around and I'd hate to have to buy an older generation CPU just to update the BIOS, then having to return it.

Didn't know if there was a vendor that people had success with.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's easy: just buy non-Haswell Refresh CPUs. Check ark.intel.com - if the release date is 2014, they're Haswell Refresh. 2013 means they're regular Haswell.

If you buy in person, you can check the packaging for the BIOS version, if you want a newer processor (they're the exact same thing, with a 100MHz clock boost over their old versions). Online, don't count on much certainty.

Faluzure

Explorer
It's easy: just buy non-Haswell Refresh CPUs. Check ark.intel.com - if the release date is 2014, they're Haswell Refresh. 2013 means they're regular Haswell.

If you buy in person, you can check the packaging for the BIOS version, if you want a newer processor (they're the exact same thing, with a 100MHz clock boost over their old versions). Online, don't count on much certainty.

I was afraid you'd say that. :( I'll see what I can do to get the motherboard locally. I wish there was some way to know online.

Faluzure

Explorer

Actually... that leads me to ask another question. You mention the new BIOS is for the Haswell Refresh CPU (dated 2014). Does that mean that regular Haswell (non-Refresh) CPUs are supported on the older BIOS? Because on ARK, I found a several 4th gen i3, with a release date of Q3'13. If that's the case, I can just get one of those.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Actually... that leads me to ask another question. You mention the new BIOS is for the Haswell Refresh CPU (dated 2014). Does that mean that regular Haswell (non-Refresh) CPUs are supported on the older BIOS? Because on ARK, I found a several 4th gen i3, with a release date of Q3'13. If that's the case, I can just get one of those.
Of course. LGA1150 motherboards don't take anything older than Haswell processors. Only Haswell Refresh needs an update (which is stupid, considering the silicon is the exact same).

Faluzure

Explorer
Of course. LGA1150 motherboards don't take anything older than Haswell processors. Only Haswell Refresh needs an update (which is stupid, considering the silicon is the exact same).

Thanks for the response. I was just replying when I saw the alert that you responded.

I found this page on the forums and seems I answered my own question. https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...version-and-intel-haswell-refresh-cpus.23970/

I see that you have a regular Haswell i3 4330 in your signature. Despite the 100MHz clock boost from the Haswell Refresh, I shouldn't see anything significant in performance gains right? I'm using this NAS simply for storage. I do plan on using Plex, but that's via an HTPC front end, which will connect to the NAS on the back end. I read that it's better than way to keep them separate.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks for the response. I was just replying when I saw the alert that you responded.

I found this page on the forums and seems I answered my own question. https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...version-and-intel-haswell-refresh-cpus.23970/

I see that you have a regular Haswell i3 4330 in your signature. Despite the 100MHz clock boost from the Haswell Refresh, I shouldn't see anything significant in performance gains right? I'm using this NAS simply for storage. I do plan on using Plex, but that's via an HTPC front end, which will connect to the NAS on the back end. I read that it's better than way to keep them separate.

If you want to transcode, a Xeon E3 is a better option. If not, an i3 will do fine.

As I said, Haswell Refresh has identical silicon, but with a 100MHz boost.

Faluzure

Explorer
If you want to transcode, a Xeon E3 is a better option. If not, an i3 will do fine.

As I said, Haswell Refresh has identical silicon, but with a 100MHz boost.
Thanks again for all your help!

pschatz100

Guru
An i3 will handle 1 or 2 transcoding streams just fine.

Buy enough memory...

Faluzure

Explorer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@eric: So, in response to this thread: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...cro-mbd-x9scm-f-o-no-power.19640/#post-149944
SuperMicro contacted me just now. They said I would also need the BIOS 2.0 update to support the i3-4130 and it is the cause of my power issues. Can you confirm/deny? Or can anyone for this matter? I highly doubt a BIOS version would prevent a motherboard from even powering on.

The i3 4130 doesn't need the update, it's an older processor.
Can you access the IPMI? If not, that's enough reason to RMA the board. If so, something weird is going on.

Faluzure

Explorer
The i3 4130 doesn't need the update, it's an older processor.
Can you access the IPMI? If not, that's enough reason to RMA the board. If so, something weird is going on.

Ok, thanks for that. I'm going to at least argue with the support guy on that.

As for accessing via IPMI, I never tried. I mean, when the motherboard was spitting out an undocumented LE6 "System Power Failure" RED LED, I didn't even think to try to access it over IPMI. Even so, I wasn't sure if "out of the box" I would be able to access it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, thanks for that. I'm going to at least argue with the support guy on that.

As for accessing via IPMI, I never tried. I mean, when the motherboard was spitting out an undocumented LE6 "System Power Failure" RED LED, I didn't even think to try to access it over IPMI. Even so, I wasn't sure if "out of the box" I would be able to access it.

It should be set to DHCP by default and the MAC is on a sticker on the board, so it should be easy enough to find the IP and connect to it - if it's working, that is.

Feel free to tell the support guy that my i3 4330 (same thing but with one more MB of L3) worked out of the box and it was released at the same time.

Can't fault you for not trying the IPMI. Support guy should've known better than to blame the processor for a "power faulty" light.

Faluzure

Explorer
It should be set to DHCP by default and the MAC is on a sticker on the board, so it should be easy enough to find the IP and connect to it - if it's working, that is.

Feel free to tell the support guy that my i3 4330 (same thing but with one more MB of L3) worked out of the box and it was released at the same time.

Can't fault you for not trying the IPMI. Support guy should've known better than to blame the processor for a "power faulty" light.

Gotcha. Thanks Eric.

Faluzure

Explorer

Gotcha. Thanks Eric.

Well, he hit me back up again with the same runaround, despite me telling him that you have the identical setup. Not sure what a "non-SMC" PSU is. Never heard of that but I did tell him there are others (including you) on this forum that is using various SeaSonic PSUs in their setups. I tested it with my Thermaltake TX750 PSU as well, with the same result.

LE6 is for power failure. Anyways, you are using a non-SMC PSU and that can contribute to the problem. Do you have any other PSU to check? You would probably only see fans spin with another PSU.

Unfortunately, BIOS 2.0 is required.

Best regards,
Milton
Super Micro Technical Support

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, he hit me back up again with the same runaround, despite me telling him that you have the identical setup. Not sure what a "non-SMC" PSU is. Never heard of that but I did tell him there are others (including you) on this forum that is using various SeaSonic PSUs in their setups. I tested it with my Thermaltake TX750 PSU as well, with the same result.

LE6 is for power failure. Anyways, you are using a non-SMC PSU and that can contribute to the problem. Do you have any other PSU to check? You would probably only see fans spin with another PSU.

Unfortunately, BIOS 2.0 is required.

Best regards,
Milton
Super Micro Technical Support

SMC probably stands for Supermicro.

If the PSU checks out on another system (or a known-good one yields the same result), it's clearly a motherboard problem.

If it comes to that, ask for the issue to be escalated, as BIOS 2.0 is most certainly not required - the CPU predates the update by nearly a year!

Faluzure

Explorer
SMC probably stands for Supermicro.

If the PSU checks out on another system (or a known-good one yields the same result), it's clearly a motherboard problem.

If it comes to that, ask for the issue to be escalated, as BIOS 2.0 is most certainly not required - the CPU predates the update by nearly a year!
This guy is getting under my skin. He continues to ask me the same questions about the RAM and PSU. then he tells me that I need BIOS 2.0 in order for everything to work properly because it's documented I need that BIOS for the 4130.

Then he has the audacity to say because I'm not using Supermicro memory and PSU, that's why I'm having these issues.

Finally, he has refused to escalate my issue with a higher support level, because he "already knows why" I'm having these issues.

I'm seriously tempted to just return this motherboard and going with a competitor. Their customer support is absolutely of no help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This guy is getting under my skin. He continues to ask me the same questions about the RAM and PSU. then he tells me that I need BIOS 2.0 in order for everything to work properly because it's documented I need that BIOS for the 4130.

Then he has the audacity to say because I'm not using Supermicro memory and PSU, that's why I'm having these issues.

Finally, he has refused to escalate my issue with a higher support level, because he "already knows why" I'm having these issues.

I'm seriously tempted to just return this motherboard and going with a competitor. Their customer support is absolutely of no help.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to proceed. I'd try sidestepping him (by calling, for instance), ask for a supervisor and explain the situation (including the non-cooperative employee)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Faluzure,

Unfortunately, once you start talking server-grade stuff you'll find that attitude is pretty common. I'm not saying its right, but its common. They have to deal with people that shouldn't be building systems themselves on a regular basis. So they set fairly high expectations. You call tech support for help they are going to expect you to use only the components listed as "compatible". Yes, PSUs are PSUs and they should all work. But there are sometimes weird quirks. The same goes for RAM. You call because a board won't post and your RAM is something not on their recommended list and they won't want to talk to you.

This is their cost-saving measure. Their attitude is that:

1. You go with the stuff that is recommended (and therefore a low risk of not working and a low risk of calling them).
2. You go with whatever you want and you are smart enough to figure it out on your own (and therefore a low risk of calling them).
3. You call them and they don't want to be as helpful as you'd like (and therefore a low risk of calling them).

Remember, they're trying to sell as many units as possible for the least number of calls. You're probably being filter into "we probably don't want this guy as a customer" right now. They don't want customers that are going to build with random parts and call when its not compatible.

I'm not saying you deserve the treatment you are getting, I'm just explaining why you are probably getting that treatment. It's no different than buying a Dell server. If you call Dell and tell them you bought RAM from Newegg for their server and it doesn't work they're going to tell you something like "But you didn't buy our horribly overpriced but very much compatible RAM. Sorry but I can't help you."

Fraoch

Patron

That's awful, especially considering the PSU and RAM are from top-tier manufacturers who probably OEM build for Supermicro.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.