Supermicro X10SLL-F w/ Crucial RAM (16GB Limit?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobiusOne

Cadet
To begin, the relevant parts of my setup are as follows:
Supermicro X10SLL-F
Intel Core i3-4170
Crucial DDR3L-1600 16GB (CT2KIT102472BD160B)

Last week, Newegg had a sale on the (exact, in terms of part number) same set of RAM that I had originally used, so I purchased some more (because why not?).

I put the new set in my FreeNAS server this morning (so, four modules in all four slots), and was annoyed to receive a POST code 55. This was the same code I had received when I first built it, but after some shuffling of which slots the RAM was it, it went away (I chalked it up to server board being picky about RAM; understandable). The two new sticks by themselves seem to work fine when in the 'right' slots, though.

I can think of two reason for why 32GB won't POST, but I want to run this past the community for advice.

1) The two sets of RAM use slightly different chips (MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1ZE vs. MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6P1ZE), but both of these Micron chips are validated by Supermicro (though maybe not together?). I can use them mixed together, but only in Slots B2 and B1 (see #2).

2) The board is partially bad and I didn't realize it when I first got it. The instructions say to install the RAM in the two blue slots (Slots B2 and A2) first, but when I do that, I receive POST code 55. The only way it will POST is with the RAM in top (away from the processor) slots (Slots B2 and B1). This seems odd, but I didn't question it at first. Now it's troublesome, and something I wish I'd looked into more when I first built it.

So my plans now are either RMA the board, buy another set of RAM and pair it with whichever one it matches with, or throw up my hands and be content with 16GB of RAM (which is perfectly viable).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1) The two sets of RAM use slightly different chips (MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1ZE vs. MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6P1ZE)
And the Crucial part number for both of them is CT102472BD160B?

Oh, boy, sounds like trouble for me, as the author of the X10 RAM sticky.

I won't have much time for this in the near future, but could you post pictures of the DIMMs? Labels, both Crucial and Micron, along with the markings on the chips themselves would be nice.

MobiusOne

Cadet
Let me save you some time: it was a combination of user error and possibility #2.

Yesterday, as I was thinking about the problem, I remembered that when I was building it, I had bent two pins on the socket (that taught me not to build a computer with someone watching, let alone an attractive female). No big deal, I though; I fixed them before I installed the processor, and it had been working just fine for the last six months. Realizing I'd done exactly this once before on a different computer years ago, I decided to pull the processor and take a look. Turns out pin AW33 (the Intel pinout calls it SA_ECC_CB0, which makes a ton of sense why bank A wouldn't work) had also been bent (and was a ways away from the two I previously fixed, hiding underneath the CPU hold-down). I gently coaxed it into place with an Xacto knife, threw the two sticks of the known good RAM in it in both blue slots, and it POSTed right away. FreeNAS has been whirring away with 32GB of RAM for the last day or so without any apparent (new) issues.

So remember kids, be careful when you remove that little cover thing that comes on LGA boards, and never assume the first thing you think of is the source of the problem. Thanks for your time.

P.S. I suppose this confirms that the two different Micron RAM chips will play nicely together in the X10SLL-F (and, I assume, others too).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, that sounds good.

In any case, can you confirm the Crucial and Micron part numbers for that apparent new model? It'd be interesting to know if they really changed the Micron part number but not the Crucial one.

Status
Not open for further replies.