Kingston and Hynix RAM in Supermicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
I ordered my X10SL7-F, together with two of the then-Kingston-recommended KVR16E11/8EF modules the day before they disappeared from Kingston's recommended list and then a little later were discontinued altogether. In response to my uncomplimentary review on NewEgg, in which I wondered aloud what was going to happen if/when I wanted to increase the RAM to 32GB (since I had little chance of being able to buy identical modules and in any case I had already been told that the problems that had led to those modules no longer being recommended occurred only when four of them were used), Kingston Tech Support responded that if I wanted to increase the RAM to 32GB, installing the Supermicro-recommended Hynix modules in the first pair of slots and the Kingston modules in the second pair should work fine.

I have now done what Kingston Tech Support suggested, and I am pleased to be able to report that MemTest86+ has now completed four error-free passes with this combination of RAM modules.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The whole Kingston story is quite crazy. I'm glad it broke out while I was still in the early stages of planning my build - Kingston used to be my default choice.

Yatti420

Wizard
Kingston Tech Support responded that if I wanted to increase the RAM to 32GB, installing the Supermicro-recommended Hynix modules in the first pair of slots and the Kingston modules in the second pair should work fine.

I have now done what Kingston Tech Support suggested, and I am pleased to be able to report that MemTest86+ has now completed four error-free passes with this combination of RAM modules.

This should be pinned for people who have the kingston modules in question.. This only applies to x10 however.. x9s work fine with kingston..

Yatti420

Wizard
z300 does the Kingston sticks have Elpida nand then? I thought there was a way to determine based on model #.. For eg KVR16E11/8EF would be Elpida flash.. Would be nice to get a list of what Kingston modules do work per configuration in the x10 series..

Z300M

Guru
z300 does the Kingston sticks have Elpida nand then? I thought there was a way to determine based on model #.. For eg KVR16E11/8EF would be Elpida flash.. Would be nice to get a list of what Kingston modules do work per configuration in the x10 series..
I forgot to look at the Kingston modules to check the markings on the chips. MemTest86+ showed the Hynix Part# (HMT...) but simply numbers (or maybe alphanumeric) for the Kingston -- not the Kingston Part# (KVR...).

Status
Not open for further replies.