Kingston 4 x 8GB RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Can someone explain the differences (and which are the better choice?) between the Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0 and M391B5273DH0-CK0 modules? Both are recommended by Supermicro (for the X10SLH-F board).

EDIT: sorry, typo in part numbers. See my next post.

crumbz

Explorer
Hi guys,

Can someone explain the differences (and which are the better choice?) between the Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0 and M391B5273DH0-CK0 modules? Both are recommended by Supermicro (for the X10SLH-F board).

One is a 4GB module, the other is a 8GB module. If you want 8GB you buy the 8GB module, if you want 4GB you buy the 4GB module.

Sorry, i made a copy-paste error :oops: . I meant these two: M391B1G73BH0-CK0 and M391B1G73QH0-YK0

The latter one is a lot cheaper...

What i found after some research:

M391B1G73BH0-CK0
B=3rd gen
C=Commercial Temp.( 0 C ~ 85 C) & Normal Power(1.5V)

K4B4G0846B-HCK0
B=3rd gen
C=Commercial Temp.( 0 C ~ 85 C) & Normal Power(1.5V)
------------------------
M391B1G73QH0-YK0
Q: ????
Y=Commercial Temp.( 0 C ~ 85 C) & Low VDD(1.35V)

K4B4G0846Q-HYK0
Q: ????
Y=Commercial Temp.( 0 C ~ 85 C) & Low VDD(1.35V)

So the only difference seems to be the power: 1.5V vs 1.35V

1.35V means less stress to the CPU memory controller & less heat. Maybe it's only a little, but the 1.35V would be the better choice i guess... And guess what? It's also a lot cheaper :)

Z300M

Guru
I decided to RMA my two modules with Kingston directly before I bought two extra modules. It worked. After some brief email conversations with several support people I finally got the full price refunded that I originally payed for the modules.

Now I got four Samsung modules (M391B1G73BH0-CK0) instead. The ones that are recommended by Supermicro and they work without problems.
How long had you had your Kingston modules and how much of a hassle was it to get them replaced?

I don't see myself needing 32GB of RAM in the near future (if ever), so I can't decide whether to RMA my Kingston modules or to believe the response they posted to my review on NewEgg and get the SuperMicro-branded Hynix modules if I do need to increase the amount of RAM, and put those in the first pair of slots and the Kingston in the second pair of slots.

Satam

Dabbler
How long had you had your Kingston modules and how much of a hassle was it to get them replaced?
I had them for about 7 weeks. It wasn't much of a hassle other than writing some lenghty emails containing all the information I know about the hardware issue. At first I got the answer that they couldn't help me because my mainboard isn't on the list of supported hardware for the modules. Then I basically told them that I know exactly when and why they pulled the modules from the compatibility list, referencing the information from these threads. That I felt cheated because I bought the modules before they pulled them off the list.

After some friendly phone calls and brief questions via email I had to send them proof that I bought the modules (scan of the invoice). Then I had to send the modules back and I got the exact amount I payed for them about a week later.

One very curious thing I noticed was, that they never confirmed or denied the existence of the bug in the replies. So I don't know if they RMA'ed because there actually was an issue or because they wanted to please a customer with goodwill.

or to believe the response they posted to my review on NewEgg and get the SuperMicro-branded Hynix modules if I do need to increase the amount of RAM, and put those in the first pair of slots and the Kingston in the second pair of slots.
Well, neither did I want to wait nor did I want to take that chance.

trionic

Explorer
Does anyone have a UK source for the Samsung M391B1G73BH0-CK0 DIMMS? A company called Mavit have them but are quoting a 3 - 4 delivery time. Maybe it'd be quicker/cheaper to buy them in from abroad but what happens then about a warranty?

Finding memory for this Supermicro X10SLL-F motherboard is becoming a PITA...

PenalunWil

Contributor
Hi Rilo and trionic... have you tried this supplier for RAM.

http://www.servercase.co.uk/shop/co...ddr31600mhz-ecc-unbuffered-memdr380lhl01eu16/

These are a Hynix make and are recommended for the X10SL7-F by Supermicro. Sever UK also have a very good help line and are worth conntacting if you need any help. They supplied my mobo and RAM.

l also used SCAN who supplied a lot of the other components of my build.

regards Wil

trionic

Explorer
I'm now looking at a Supermicro X9SRH-7F LGA 2011 motherboard because I need a CPU/mobo/chipset combo that will support >32GB RAM. Scan have the required Hynix 16GB DDR3-1600 HMT42GR7MFR4C-PB DIMMS (Supermicro don't list on their HCL a 32GB DIMM... grrr) and a Intel Xeon E5-2609 V2 S20112.5GHz CPU. Servercase to supply the mobo, Scan the rest.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Have you thought about using the X10SL7-F instead of the X9 SRH-7 ?

Wil

RBaden

Dabbler
Hi guys I wanted to buy same mobo and memory but I am bit worried now. But I been on YouTube and this guy called (Christopher fazendin) who also got same mobonand he is using this memory (Kingston KVR16E11K4/32 Memory Module 32GB 1600 MHz 240 Pin CL11 4x 8GB DDR3-RAM Kit) on freenas too. I will try to put a link up for you guys to watch to see if that makes any sense.
View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzN8TVqq7B0
please see and advice if I should buy this or not many thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What are we supposed to say? All the info is in this thread. Either buy it or don't based on that information...

RBaden

Dabbler
Sorry if I offended you guys, I was just try to help those above was having problem with Kingston memory. For me I am just going thorough every post since last week to see who's got the best working system. And to see if I can make one for myself. But I like to say one thing u guys work hard to help each other. Tc

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I was just saying all that can be said has been said. Nobody has a solid finger to point at either company, neither company is saying who is to blame or even what the problem is. So your guess based on all available information is valid as mine.

s.zaprudsky

Cadet
Just bought Supermicro X10SLL-F and 4 * 8 GB Kingston KVR16E11/8. All SDRAM modules are equipped with Hynix chips. 12h memtest found no errors.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you have a production date, lot number or similar information that might help narrow down the good DIMMs?

Z300M

Guru
Just bought Supermicro X10SLL-F and 4 * 8 GB Kingston KVR16E11/8. All SDRAM modules are equipped with Hynix chips. 12h memtest found no errors.

Kingston's data sheet for that part number makes no mention of the maker of the individual chips. Maybe they use whatever they can get a good deal on at any given time.

jagga

Cadet
No issues were identified with 4*8gb modules here. 11h memtest passed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No issues were identified with 4*8gb modules here. 11h memtest passed.

Can you give us any specifics on the DIMMs? Serial numbers, lot numbers, production dates, production location...

Status
Not open for further replies.