Kingston 4 x 8GB RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
Yesterday Kingston showed both 8GB and 4GB RAM modules for the Supermicro X10SL7-F and other models. Today they show only 4GB modules.

I just finished a chat session with Kingston Tech Support, who told me that there have been reports of ECC errors when using four 8GB modules in the X10SL7-F and X10SAE motherboards. They are not sure, but they think the problem is with their memory components, and they are trying to resolve the problem in cooperation with Supermicro.

They said that if there is a problem with the modules I ordered, they will refund my money. If the two 8GB modules I already ordered work OK but there is a problem if I later add two more, they will replace the old ones by updated ones -- assuming, of course, that it is Kingston's problem and not Supermicro's.

crumbz

Explorer
I have 2 x 8GB (KTH-PL313E/8G) and 2 x 4GB (KTH-PL313E/4G ) Kingston RAM on my X10SL7-F motherboard. No issues so far.

Satam

Dabbler
Ah, great. This whole FreeNAS build has been nothing but a catastrophy so far. First I get a damaged case and I have to wait over a week for a replacement. Then my Western Digital Reds drop out of the pool. And now I read that I have bought the wrong RAM and can't upgrade to 32GB.

Z300M

Guru
Ah, great. This whole FreeNAS build has been nothing but a catastrophy so far. First I get a damaged case and I have to wait over a week for a replacement. Then my Western Digital Reds drop out of the pool. And now I read that I have bought the wrong RAM and can't upgrade to 32GB.
According to what Kingston told me, they would replace the RAM or refund my money if there's a problem.

Satam

Dabbler
That's good to know. I'll keep watching this thread, please post any updates you might receive from Kingston, k?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Bummer. Hope this get sorted asap. Got 2x8GB and 2x4GB myself and where contemplating getting a second 2x8GB kit.

Durandal

Explorer
Was it only the X10SL7-F and X10SAE that was affected? I have 3x8 GB Kingston ECC on a X10SLM-F-O and thinking of upgrading it soon..

krikboh

Patron
Sounds like I should be worried. Is there anything to look for other than corrupted data?

Durandal

Explorer
I have a X10SLH-F and it's affected, too. Just search at the Kingston website.

I just searched for my motherboard (X10SLM-F-O) and their website only lists 4 GB modules. Not a good sign!

Sir.Robin

Guru
"there have been reports of ECC errors when using four 8GB modules"

And so, i guess when using only two, there are no reports of this.

Anyway, i hope this is soon fixed with a BIOS update.

Edit:
Actually i'm a bit surprised over such a bug. 8GB modules are nothing new.
Supermicro is "server grade"
It's Intel chipset ffs. Wtf??

I have Servers at work runnig for 2 years with 12x8GB modules each and none had any issues.

I am getting a bit dissapointeeed. :(

Z300M

Guru
Sounds like I should be worried. Is there anything to look for other than corrupted data?
I don't know. Is there data corruption or simply false-positive ECC errors?

Z300M

Guru
"there have been reports of ECC errors when using four 8GB modules"

And so, i guess when using only two, there are no reports of this.

Anyway, i hope this is soon fixed with a BIOS update.

Edit:
Actually i'm a bit surprised over such a bug. 8GB modules are nothing new.
Supermicro is "server grade"
It's Intel chipset ffs. Wtf??

I have Servers at work runnig for 2 years with 12x8GB modules each and none had any issues.

I am getting a bit dissapointeeed. :(
I did ask the Kingston guy about BIOS updates, but (as I mentioned previously) they were inclined to blame "their own" memory components -- which I assume that in fact they buy from other manufacturers.

Z300M

Guru
For years I bought nothing but Kingston ECC RAM, but for the last few (non-ECC) Asus motherboards I've bought G.Skill seemed to be the most convenient of the recommendations. For ECC RAM for my new Supermicro motherboard I naturally looked first at Kingston again, but now when I look at the Supermicro memory recommendations, I see that they list only Hynix and Samsung, which in some places are cheaper than Kingston.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Well they have modules with either intel or hynix chips.
Cant be both types, so what chip is causing this if it ainght motherboard related?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

krikboh

Patron
May not be the actual memory modules causing the issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir.Robin

Guru
Thats what i'm thinking. :-/

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Z300M

Guru
Well they have modules with either intel or hynix chips.
Cant be both types, so what chip is causing this if it ainght motherboard related?
That occurred to me later too. And NewEgg's description of the modules with the "EF" suffix (which is what I ordered) includes in the description "Server Elpida F," so that's presumably yet another brand of chip.

I noticed that if I look up that module on the Kingston site and then check for the compatible motherboards, they still show a bunch of Supermicro X9 models.

Sir.Robin

Guru
*bump*

Any news on this matter?

Z300M

Guru
Any news on this matter?
I think I gave my email address when I had my chat session with Supermicro tech support, but I haven't heard any more from them so far.

My X10SL7-F and two sticks of the Kingston "Server Premier" RAM came yesterday, and everything seems fine -- still trying to find my way around the IPMI features.

Status
Not open for further replies.