SuperMicro X10SL7-F 32GB Memory Cannot Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

purduephotog

Explorer
I'd say the vast majority of Samsung customers here haven't had trouble with their recommended DIMMs.

If that's not good enough for you, there's still Hynix and Micron/Crucial.

Actually, I am not overtly worried about the ram types- I was wondering if there had ever been resolution on the matter. The diagnostics looked solid- so either there was an electrical problem with the board 2x (which while odd wouldn't have been that far of a stretch- I once received 18 defective monitors from multiple batches on RMAs that had been certified as inspected- from a medical display company none the less), or a combination of DIMM and board, or perhaps a PSU power grounding problem.

Basically, anything. However knowing if the problem was resolved and how (aka, RMA Ram, or RMA board a third time, etc) would help trouble shoot future risk.

Last edited:

panz

Guru
I like to find weird culprits in the handcraft assembly procedure: always be sure to use ESD certified tools and things such as wrist straps, table mats and so on.

Did you check with IPMI if the PSU was supplying the correct voltages?

Jerome

Cadet
Sorry the late updates...

I resolved the issue by RMA the Samsung memory and getting the Crucial memory (2 x CT2KIT102472BD160B). My build "station" is always on ESD mat and quality ESD wrist strap. Thanks everyone for the help.

charlie89

Explorer
I got the same issue on the X10SL7-F mobo, when using 4x8gb samsung ram (M391B1G73QH0-YK0) then it won't post.
This Modules are on the QVL list and are additionally stated as working in this thread: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...or-supermicro-x10-lga1150-motherboards.23291/

With 3 or less ram modules everything works.
Since I already owned 2 of the Kingston Ram modules (9965525-111A00LF) which are known to not post with 4 Modules installed (such a crap, i read this after buying the ram grrr) i tried to use 2 of the samsung and 2 of the Kingston Modules and

... wait for it ...

IT WORKS!!!

I know that it's normally advised to use the same model for all ram modules but never mind it works and memtest86+ shows no errors. Now i just hope i can return the two samsung modules and get 170€ back...
The next time I just buy Crucial because i couldn't found anyone who states that Crucial makes problems.

pschatz100

Guru
Glad that it works. There really is no worry about having all memory of the same brand and model - but modules on the same channel should be matched. It's all about timing and tolerances.

RichTJ99

Patron
I am playing with my new X10SL7-F mobo also. I am getting the 4 beeps & error 55. I am able to play around in the IPMI mode but nothing further.

I have 32GB (4x8gb) of the ram listed below - it doesnt work in any combination I tried.

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148770

I ordered everything from Newegg & my mobo was definitely used and sold as new (I RMA'ed and bought from Provantage) - the newegg memory wasn't sealed either but that may just be the manufacturers packaging.

Any other suggestions on how to test?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I am playing with my new X10SL7-F mobo also. I am getting the 4 beeps & error 55. I am able to play around in the IPMI mode but nothing further.

I have 32GB (4x8gb) of the ram listed below - it doesnt work in any combination I tried.

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148770

I ordered everything from Newegg & my mobo was definitely used and sold as new (I RMA'ed and bought from Provantage) - the newegg memory wasn't sealed either but that may just be the manufacturers packaging.

Any other suggestions on how to test?
Also, please tell us what version of BIOS, and what CPU you're using.

RichTJ99

Patron
I will get bios information shortly. I ran to the local Microcenter computer store which has the same ecc DDR from crucial that I already purchased.

I went back for testing. It seems that all memory when installed in DIMMB1 & DIMMB2 works fine. I now have 8x8gb crucial ecc ddr3, all the same model to play with.

As soon as I add memory to DIMMA1 & DIMMA2 I get the 55 error. I tried

Dimmb full & a single stick in dimma1 of dimma2 and error 55 is consistent.

The manual looked like I was supposed to start with dimma before using dimmb.

Only ram in dimma results in error 55.

All ram in dimmb seems to post OK.

Mobo bios date was 4/15 or so from my memory of tonight.

Thanks for any advise.

Rich

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds like a textbook case of bent CPU pins.

Unfortunately, at that point you're at the mercy of Supermicto's willingness to cover that damage under warranty.

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

Thanks for the advice about the bent pins. I looked & found one that did look slightly bent. I youtubed a repair video & straightened out the pins.

I booted up & now all 32GB of memory is recognized and the unit posts. I am now running memtest on the memory & will likely leave things intact for the weekend - thanks for the great advice.

Next question - with the pin repaired, is the integrity of the motherboard in question - should i replace it?

My goal is to have a very 'safe' box for all my data - redundancy, etc. Does a box with a bent/fixed pin cause concern?

Thanks,
Rich

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Next question - with the pin repaired, is the integrity of the motherboard in question - should i replace it?
If it's working, it's unlikely to degrade, unless you remove the CPU. Just make sure it is working properly.

RichTJ99

Patron
Any suggestions on how to figure out if the CPU is working properly? Will a 36 hours of memtest do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.