SuperMicro X10SL7-F 32GB Memory Cannot Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome

Cadet
System Information:
MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O
CPU: E3-1276V3 (why? because I got a good price on the processor)
Case: Supermicro CSE-826TQ-R800LPB
OS Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HD: (12x) 4TB WD Red
Ram: (4x) Samsung m391b1g73qh0-yk0, 1.35v
PSU: PWS-801-1R 800W

At the moment, only CPU and SSD drive hooked up. When I populate all 4 memory slots, the system would not post. I get 4 beeps followed by System Initializing.. Code 55. With only 2 sticks, system posts without any errors. I've interchanged the memory sticks and confirmed all 4 memory sticks work in DIMMA slots. I've also tried swapping out the PSU to a Seasonic SSR-650RM and the same system error 55 appears when I use all 4 memory sticks on the motherboard. So I've concluded that the DIMMB memory slots are bad and got a replacement (new) board.
The new motherboard does the same thing when I populate all 4 memory slots with the Samsumg ECC memory. So now I'm at a lost. What are the chances that I've gotten two bad motherboards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jerome

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What happens when you populate only the DIMMB slots, and leave the DIMMA slots empty?

Jerome

Cadet
What happens when you populate only the DIMMB slots, and leave the DIMMA slots empty?

Same errors in using just DIMMB slots...4 beeps followed by code 55. I am leaning toward that the Samsung ECC modules are bad collectively.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It could be a bent pin in the socket - in fact, that's the most likely explanation, given the selective nature of the problem.

Are those the modules recommended by Supermicro?

joeschmuck

Old Man
What are your BIOS settings, Default?
With the Channel A sticks installed, check to see what the memory speed is. I believe there is a setting called Memory Frequency Limiter which is set to Auto, if you can reduce it to 1333, try that out and then plug in the other 2 modules. Make sure the voltage is set properly as well.

Also, disconnect the SATA drive, no need to wear it out.

Also, I doubt it's a CPU pin issue, not on two different MB's, although it could be the CPU itself but I think it's a memory voltage or frequency, type issue.

Jerome

Cadet
All, upon near microscopic inspection, the socket pins appear to be not uniform. I see 2 pins slightly leaning, possibly enough to not make proper contact with the CPU. With the naked eyes, all the socket pins looked to be uniform and plumb up. Wow, I'm quite surprised with the quality control of these Supermicro boards as I've never experienced bent socket pins with Gigabyte, Asus, Asrock, etc., for the numerous systems I've implemented. Maybe a third board would solve the problem or just get another brand?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I find it hard to believe out of two motherboards that you have the exact same problem. I still think it's a RAM speed issue. Your RAM is rated for DDR3-1600 CL11 and I'm certain your MB, if set to auto or 1600 is pushing the RAM too far. Force it back to DDR3-1333 and also ensure the voltage is proper.

I guess the last thing you could do is remove the MB from the case and sit it on a non-conductive surface, then try it because it's also possible you have a grounding issue. That is more plausible than two MBs' with the exact same CPU pin issue.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I find it hard to believe out of two motherboards that you have the exact same problem. I still think it's a RAM speed issue. Your RAM is rated for DDR3-1600 CL11 and I'm certain your MB, if set to auto or 1600 is pushing the RAM too far. Force it back to DDR3-1333 and also ensure the voltage is proper.

I guess the last thing you could do is remove the MB from the case and sit it on a non-conductive surface, then try it because it's also possible you have a grounding issue. That is more plausible than two MBs' with the exact same CPU pin issue.

Unless there's something stuck to the CPU, but that would be really weird.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The guys at SuperMicro are selling motherboards to a bunch of people like YOU and ME. They know they're going to get called on any dodgy units, they know the phone's going to ring, they know that if they screw anything up it'll be right on a forum like this, where their other potential customers are going to see it. There are thousands of people in this forum happily using SuperMicro products, who wouldn't dream of using anything else.

The *LAST* thing I'm going to suspect is SuperMicro QC.

I, too, am leaning towards thinking the DIMMs/mobo are fine. I feel like, as others have mentioned, there could be some electrical issue. Can we rule out a grounding issue? An insufficiently performing PSU? Improper seating of the DIMMS?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
By the way, I found *eight* people online using these particular DIMMs in the X10SL7 with no problem, and *zero* experiencing a problem.

no_connection

Patron
The memory controller is on the CPU right? So one channel on the memory controller(B in this case) could be bad, which is why I asked if he had tried with a different CPU.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The memory controller is on the CPU right? So one channel on the memory controller(B in this case) could be bad, which is why I asked if he had tried with a different CPU.

A different CPU would help track down the issue... Unfortunately, it's the last thing most people have on hand...

joeschmuck

Old Man
System Information:
CPU: E3-1276V3 (why? because I got a good price on the processor)

How good of a price? Too good to be true price?

And I agree with Ericloewe, it could be the CPU and many of us do not have extras laying around.

pschatz100

Guru
When you boot up with two sticks of memory, go into the bios or log into the IPMI function and review the board's performance. Make certain all the voltages, etc. are where they should be.

Keep in mind that the tolerances for running four sticks of memory are tighter than for running two sticks. If you have forced the memory to run at 1.35v, try allowing it to run at 1.5v. This will help if one or more of your memory sticks is just at the edge of their rated performance, and they are not working well as a matched set. It won't hurt anything.

As has been suggested, you can also try setting the memory speed to 1333. The performance difference in a NAS will be negligible.

Just as a test, have you tried booting with three sticks? The system can run with three sticks, but the memory will not perform quite as efficiently. However, success here might point to a timing issue in one or more of the memory sticks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
When you boot up with two sticks of memory, go into the bios or log into the IPMI function and review the board's performance. Make certain all the voltages, etc. are where they should be.

Keep in mind that the tolerances for running four sticks of memory are tighter than for running two sticks. If you have forced the memory to run at 1.35v, try allowing it to run at 1.5v. This will help if one or more of your memory sticks is just at the edge of their rated performance, and they are not working well as a matched set. It won't hurt anything.

As has been suggested, you can also try setting the memory speed to 1333. The performance difference in a NAS will be negligible.

Just as a test, have you tried booting with three sticks? The system can run with three sticks, but the memory will not perform quite as efficiently. However, success here might point to a timing issue in one or more of the memory sticks.

Good suggestions. Go into the BIOS and pop up the voltage for the DRAM. I like that idea.

purduephotog

Explorer
Was there ever resolution on this? I need another board and since the Kingston modules were dropped I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Was there ever resolution on this? I need another board and since the Kingston modules were dropped I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'd say the vast majority of Samsung customers here haven't had trouble with their recommended DIMMs.

If that's not good enough for you, there's still Hynix and Micron/Crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies.