Supermicro Board, what is optimal 2 memory stick configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Knutson

Cadet
I got a supermicro x10sll-f mobo. I have two 8 gig memory sticks. I know that for many motherboards, there is a recommended memory configuration when using less than all memory slots. I read the memory portion of the manual a couple of times and was only able to determine with any confidence that when inserting 4 memory sticks, the blue slots should be filled first.

Absent any sort of guidance, I put my two memory sticks in the blue slots. The setup posts with 16 gig ram and works fine, but I just want to double check whether that is the optimal configuration for two sticks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Honestly, check the manual. Usually you fill the blue slots first, but it'll tell you for sure.

Mark Knutson

Cadet
supermicro.jpg
As I said in my initial post, I read the manual more than once and it did not speak clearly to this matter. I have read manuals for many other motherboards that were clear about this. The manual specified that when filling 4 slots, physically, insert the blue slots first. It did not speak to filling less than 4.

Perhaps 'any combination' means it does not matter, but I was hoping for some reassurance that this was the proper interpretation. I know in some architectures, slots can be teamed leading to better performance.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What does the manual say? That's what you should go by.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Section 2.4 on page 2-11 says "Insert the desired number of DIMMs into the memory slots, starting with DIMMB2 (Channel B, Slot 2, blue slot. See the next page for the location). For the system to work properly, please use the memory modules of the same type and speed in the same motherboard."

Page 2-12 says "Populating these DIMM modules with a pair of memory modules of the same type and same size will result in interleaved memory, which will improve memory performance. Please refer to the table below:"

This seems clear to me.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Following the manual isn't what Tim the Tool Man Taylor would do, and he'd speed things up using the Binford 3000 Computer Accelerator vice interleaving the memory. More Power! Just make sure you have a fire extinguisher near by.

Noctris

Contributor
Following the manual isn't what Tim the Tool Man Taylor would do, and he'd speed things up using the Binford 3000 Computer Accelerator vice interleaving the memory. More Power! Just make sure you have a fire extinguisher near by.
Or.. you know.. brush up on your cpr skills ;-)

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Man, it was awful living next door to him.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.