Memory configurations for X10SLM-F

Thanks to everyone for the great advice and other resources here!

I have a used X10SLM-F motherboard which came with a pair of 4GB DIMMs. These are branded "Mustang", which I've not heard of, but they seem to work fine. They're labelled "4GB DDR3 PC10600 CL9" and the chips are marked as from Hynix. I've now also received a single 8GB Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0 module, which is listed in Ericloewe's RAM recommendations for Supermicro X10 LGA1150 motherboards. I have two questions:
  1. Can I populate the board with 2 x 4GB and 1 x 8GB for a total of 16GB? I realise it's not the optimal configuration (an odd number of modules, and not all the same size or model), but is it in principle allowed?
  2. If so, how should I populate the DIMM slots? I've read the X10SLM-F manual but couldn't understand the Memory Population Guidelines. I know I need to start with the blue DIMMB2 slot (furthest from the CPU). Does that mean I should do it like this:
    • Towards the CPU
    • Slot A1: empty
    • Slot A2 (Blue Slot): 4GB
    • Slot B1: 8GB
    • Slot B2 (Blue Slot): 4GB
    • Towards the edge of the motherboard

(so that the two 4GB modules are paired in the two blue slots)?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can I populate the board with 2 x 4GB and 1 x 8GB for a total of 16GB? I realise it's not the optimal configuration (an odd number of modules, and not all the same size or model), but is it in principle allowed?
Yes.
(so that the two 4GB modules are paired in the two blue slots)?
Yeah, try keeping those in the "prime" slots that would be filled first. This should work pretty much any way, but the memory init code can be rather byzantine.

pschatz100

Guru
The motherboard manual will probably have some suggestions about populating the memory slots with non-matching memory sticks. Definitely worth a look. I know my X9-SCM manual does.

Thank you very much @Ericloewe and @pschatz100 ! Yes, it all seems to have worked well. I put the 2 x 4GB in the two blue slots, and the 1 x 8GB in the non-blue slot further from the CPU as described above. MemTest86 was happy and the system ran smoothly.