NVMe drive support for SuperMicro X10SLM+-F

nickt

Contributor
I've decided the time has come to add an SSD pool for my VMs - my six disk RAIDZ2 rust array doesn't suit well the workload generated by my VMs. I am thinking of a dual SSD mirror. My board (a Supermicro X10SLM+-F) doesn't have on-board NVMe support and I've used up the on-board SATA ports. So I'm thinking a pair of NVMe to PCI-E adapters, installed in the two PCI-E 3.0 slots (the board has three slots, two are PCI-E 3.0 x8). Specifically:
  • 2x Orico PSM2 M.2 NVMe to PCI-E 3.0 x4 expansion card (link)
  • 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB M2 NVMe SSDs (link)
A couple of questions for the forum, please:
  • Given that my board predates NVMe, will this approach work? Will the SSDs show up and perform well on my board? (I don't need boot support for the SSDs)
  • Any experience with either product worth sharing? The Samsung EVOs seem popular and performant
Note that this is a home server; I am not looking for enterprise grade here. Also note that I am based in Australia, meaning that my buying options are somewhat limited...

Many thanks,

Nick

nickt

Contributor
One further question: as an alternative to the Samsung 970 EVO Plus, does anyone have any experience with the Seagate FireCuda 510 (link)?

Ordinarily, a device called "FireCuda" that is marketed at gamers would send me running... but 650TBW (compared to Samsung's 300TBW) is hard to ignore.

Thanks

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Check your board's BIOS for settings related to "PCIe bifurcation" - if they exist, you may be able to use an adaptor card that has 2 NVMe M.2 slots in a single slot, which would let you keep the others free (in case you wanted to expand or use it for other purposes later)

I don't forsee any issues using an NVMe device for non-bootable storage on that board. I've used them on older hardware without issue.

For your choice of drive either of them is likely fine; the increased TBW on the Seagate is tempting but it does seem to come at an added cost of roughly AUD$50 per drive based on your site. Personally I'd consider the Samsungs first unless you know you're going to be putting a lot of write workloads on them.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If your mainboard supports bifurcation, I would go with the official Supermicro product for the adapter card. See below in my "Home NAS" HW description for the part number.

nickt

Contributor
Thanks @HoneyBadger and Patrick - that's great help.

PCI-E bifurcation sounds like a great option, but the challenge is a complete lack of affordable options for SuperMicro suppliers in Australia. Options here are either through data-centre focused system integrators or dodgy overseas imports, both of which end up very expensive. A little frustrating...

I'm thinking it's a pair of Samsungs in a pair of Orico cards. I've got 3 PCI-E slots - I'm not using any of them yet, so it's not too bad.

pschatz100

Guru
I have an even older Supermicro X9-SCM board, and it runs a NVMe SSD in a pci card just fine. As long as the OS can load drivers for the card, you will be OK. Of course, it won't boot - but you knew that already.

rushrush

Cadet
I have an even older Supermicro X9-SCM board, and it runs a NVMe SSD in a pci card just fine. As long as the OS can load drivers for the card, you will be OK. Of course, it won't boot - but you knew that already.

Actually it's possible to even boot from an NVME SSD for both X9-SCM and X10SLM+-F.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Figures someone would have tried that, sooner or later. UEFI is supposed to make this sort of thing a breeze.

That said, I'd probably sooner replace the system firmware with coreboot, since there's some buzz around a number of Supermicro models being supported. AMI is so buggy that one might as well go all the way, if flashing non-OEM firmware is an acceptable risk.

The no-mod option is to use rEFInd from a supported boot device (probably USB) to load an NVMe driver for UEFI and run bootx64.efi on the NVMe disk.