ECC RAM Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynorx

Explorer
So the newest development is that the reseller shipped the mainboard to Super Micro -.- I'll have to wait 15-20 working days. I could have done this myself.. Let's hope that they'll replace it. Unfortunately the website says:

I assume that they will blame me for the broken pins. I'm not sure if I it is my fault, but I assume that I'm not cuz this hasn't happened before as I have built more than 10 PCs from scratch..

That timeframe is crazy. You might as well buy another mobo and sell the replacement when you get it back.

Z300M

Guru
So they told me I can either pay approximately 80USD for reparations or buy a new board -.- guess reparations is what I have to go with
I guess you don't have much choice: a new board is ~$250 in the US and probably significantly more in the EU.
Edit: I was thinking of the X10SL7-F. Your board is probably less than $200 in the US.

So far I have never damaged a CPU socket. I just hold the CPU over the socket, and either it drops in or it doesn't and I have to reposition it and try again; I've never pushed. But IIRC your socket seemed to have a missing contact (in addition to the bent pins), which surely could only point to a defective socket in the first place.

Last edited:

FlyingPersian

Patron
If it was actually missing yes. I asked my reseller if they are willing to pay half of the costs. Maybe I'm lucky. A new board costs 150€, but that's still almost twice as much

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This kind of occurrence scares the hell out of me. Especially when I realize that I didn't even inspect the last two sockets I installed CPUs in...

Starpulkka

Contributor
Well, latest intel stuff in repairshop is that the newest and greatest have some weird power problems, in some untested mb components scenarios. If you google you find that some have burned their mb because this new power handling desing. I thought that you would will be safe in low power cpu, but i guess not..

Does anyone knows are those pins related to power handling?

Latest in consumer avaivable stuff has FIVR and older safer stuff there was Vcore, Vgpu, VCCSA, VCCIO, and the PLL. New Intel Haswell-E processors all 5 power rails are pulled from the single VCCIN.
Please do correct if info is not true.

So what PSU Original Poster used?
Edit: Oh, that power is tested and it should be OK.

Last edited:

Mynorx

Explorer
Any word if the seller is gonna pitch in for the repairs? do you k now if they are gonna send your board to USA or do they have a Europe repair center?

FlyingPersian

Patron
They'll send it to Supermicro. I don't know, I assume there is one in Germany, else the shipping fees would be super high for them. But I've to pay all on my own :/

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

FlyingPersian

Patron
So, finally, after waiting almost 5 weeks, my motherboard is back and everything is setup now. It seems to be working fine. The only thing that might be faulty is these beeps. I'm not sure if they're some kind of test or an error, but the pre-test and everything else run smoothly so far. Do I have to be worried? According to this thread 4 beeps (I count 4 in the beginning) mean System Time Failure, but the system time is fine (it was off couple of hours, probably other time zone, but I set it right) and one beep means DRAM Refresh Failure. Any ideas?

FlyingPersian

Patron
Okay that's good.
While we're at it. what would I need to change/add to my server to make it capable of supporting up to 5 HD streams at a time within the network. Do I need a better CPU? I have a Intel Pentium G3220 right now. Or is my CPU good enough?
Do my HDDs have the capacity to do so? I have 6x WD Red 4TB in RAIDz2. I assume so as I copy a movie within couple of minutes, so even 5x that amount of time is less than the running time of a movie.

Starpulkka

Contributor
Depends on what quality HD we are talking about, 5x 40gig bluerays or some 5x 6gig 1080p HD movie files, but if you need to encode those files on the fly by using like plex etc. your cpu dont handle it. I assuming your lan 1000BASE-T network speed is 1 Gbit/s so 1080p cpu does fine, but if you need transcode then answer is no. As for hdd they do fine, but after fulling 50% capacity you will start seeing some slowing, but should be fine.

Edit: as i dont use plex or anything video stuff, i dont have facts, my guess is that if you watch those movies with pc it does not do transcode as plex call it direct play, but if you watch movies with mobile phone it does the conversion and streaming video to mobile phone

Edit: im little curious what devices you used at same time watching a movie? =)
I just log my main pc and bedroom laptop same usernames and i can open same movie file fine using cifs as i have basic older file settings.

Last edited:

FlyingPersian

Patron
Naw the average is probably like 7GB, but there are some bigger files as well. I have 1000BASE-T 1Gbit/s, yes. And I use plex to watch the movies. I never had trouble for two devices at the same time, but I've never tried more. Is plex transcoding those movies while watching? What would be the best thing to do then?
My HDDs are filled up to 64% right now. Guess there's still some space available as I have a total capacity of 10,9TB..

Status
Not open for further replies.