Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F vs ASRock C2750D4I

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb510

Cadet
I need some insight and advice on Xeon-d 1520 vs Atom C2750.

I'd like to build a new NAS in the next couple months for my home/office (to replace Synology DS213). I'd be happy to build that NAS today, but I don't NEED to build it today so I can wait if something better is right around the corner.

I've been planning on basing it on an ASRock C2750D4I, but the xeon-d's look amazing. While I've decided the Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F us too expensive, I'm having trouble deciding if I should wait for the Xeon-D 1520 and TLN2F to become available and use that or just go ahead with the Atom 2750.

What I really use my NAS for:
Time Machine backups for 3 machines.
File shares for infrequently accessed data (photo library, etc..)
Media/Torrent downloads and storage.
File sync to USB drives.

Future needs:
Enough power to run BTSync/SyncThing (Currently the DS213 barely manages SyncThing with frequent 100% CPU spikes).
Enough power to comfortably serve one 1080p stream, maybe 2... and maybe someday one 4k stream (might just be dreaming on the 4k front here the real point here is I don't need multiple streams transcoding at once, I just don't want one bringing everything else to a halt).
Supporting a 6 drive RAID ( 6 SATA ports + USB boot is OK, I planing on using a SilverStone DS380B case and would like to add more drives later, but not opposed to doing it wit ha PCI card, ultimately I want 6 HDDs + 2 SSDs someday)
Low _idle_ power consumption (hard for me to gauge xeon-d 1520 idle vs avoton c2750 idle?)

Nice to haves:
USB 3 - I run weekly backups of critical files to a external USB drive, so USB 3 would be nice, but it's not strictly necessary.

Things I don't care about
10GBe - It's going to be a long time before I have any need for 10GBe.

So... Is there some killer feature I'm missing? some horrible shortcoming I'm ignorant of? Advice please?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Usb3 doesn't have that great of support on freenas.

Have you looked at a xeon based cpu? Power draw is about the save and you get more horsepower.

Why do you want the ssd's? If it's for cache you should probably spend the money on more memory and over 64GB of it before adding ssd cache.

jb510

Cadet
I assumed USB 3 would work with the Xeon-D, although I haven't heard either way, so maybe that's a problem...

I assume you mean a Xeon-E3? I started comparing to the C2750 a while ago, but honestly it didn't seem worth the cost for me, the Xeon-D 1520 seems like it might be, but it 's so new and I'm so inexperienced it's hard to know.

SSDs are just a different pool from the HDDs. I'll put the same RAM on either board/processor.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Xeon-D will blow Avoton out of the water.

Enough power to comfortably serve one 1080p stream, maybe 2...
Easy on C2750.

and maybe someday one 4k stream
Naively assuming linear complexity growth with pixel number, (i.e. one 4K stream costs as much as four 1080p streams), also doable on C2750, if memory serves me right.

Low _idle_ power consumption
That's a given for any modern architecture. Xeon E3 v3 is already very efficient, Avoton is a bit better. Xeon E3 v4 should be slightly better than v3 and Xeon-D should be close to Avoton.

cheezehead

Dabbler
The particular C2750 board has more SATA ports than you'll ever need while the D-1520 (won't be really available till end of this or early next month) is limited to 6x sata ports but there are ways around it.

I've looked at both and really I'm looking at either the Supermicro or the ASRock D-1520's personally for the CPU performance gains. The only thing that stopped me from getting a C2750 was the poor singled-threaded performance, I have a Plex jail and was looking at transcoding MKV's on the fly which unfortunately the audio is VC-1 encoded (the linux/unix VC-1 decoder is single-threaded) which can cause streaming problems.

Price wise the D-1520's should be around the same price point as the C2750... I'm hoping that the sale price points would be similar and be able to snag one up for under $400 but who knows.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The particular C2750 board has more SATA ports than you'll ever need while th
The Marvell controllers are as good as useless. The board has 6 good SATA ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.