BUILD First build of FreeNAS box - X10SDV-4C-TLN2F

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriegalex

Dabbler
Thanks for your answer. I think my jails are really using nothing from my CPU, because there is not a lot of activity or users on them and the only things that may require horsepower is SMB and Plex. I've just run a x265 file with or without subtitles (on the 1240v3) and it averages at something like 15% CPU usage, so there is margin.

Seeing your results with a D1520 and big video files, I am very confident a D1540 with a lot of RAM could be a killer machine to run Plex and a lot of next gen bhyve VMs (when it's available).

tonysan

Dabbler
Sounds awesome. There are newer versions of Xeon D and new variants of this series motherboards, I kind of doing this too early when the first iteration of Xeon D came out.

phpVBox is a PITA and not very stable, I am also waiting for a nice WebUI that could provision bhyve instances in later release.

kriegalex

Dabbler
If someday you stumble across a HEVC video file, please let us now (or PM me if this thread is too old) of any buffering/cuts in the playback or if it's ok (if you have time and are willing to of course) :) I must sell my NAS first so I have time until I decide to buy a Xeon D or not :)

JJT211

Patron
Im very interested in this board.

I have the Avoton C2750 but it cannot play 4k video. The only way I was able to play 4k was to use the optimization feature in Plex. Have you tried streaming 4k on the 1520?

Status
Not open for further replies.