BUILD X10SDV-4C-TLN4F build

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackoptic

Cadet
Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank all the people that regularly helps in this forums. All your posts have been essential to me to understand FreeNAS.

This is my first FreeNAS build. For now, I plan to use 3 desktop disks I already have in a mirror, but in the future I want to have 6 NAS-grade disks in RAIDZ2. The purpose of this build is to be used as an storage and backup server (using BitTorrent Sync and maybe NFS and CIFS), as a Plex server and as a OpenVPN server (for now, while I make another build with pfSense).

This are the components I have in mind:
Initially I was looking to buy a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F, but it looks like the TLN4F is more efficient. Also, the TLN4F has two GbE ports, so I don't have to worry about the lack of support of the 10 GbE ports in this boards (link).

Is there something wrong with this build?

Thanks for your suggestions.

tonysan

Dabbler
For heatsink fan, get Supermicro SNK-C0054A4L. it is compatible with my board and has PWM.
I also ignored the manual and put some AS-5 thermal paste instead of the crap on heatsink.

I'd suggest go for single 32G RDIMM for future-proof.

tonysan

Dabbler
Well, you can go that route if you like, I taped a 40mm Sunon fan similarly before I get C0054A4L.

I am thinking to find a metal workshop and mod something like Cooler Master Hyper 212. Just drill four holes.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank all the people that regularly helps in this forums. All your posts have been essential to me to understand FreeNAS.

This is my first FreeNAS build. For now, I plan to use 3 desktop disks I already have in a mirror, but in the future I want to have 6 NAS-grade disks in RAIDZ2. The purpose of this build is to be used as an storage and backup server (using BitTorrent Sync and maybe NFS and CIFS), as a Plex server and as a OpenVPN server (for now, while I make another build with pfSense).

This are the components I have in mind:
Initially I was looking to buy a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F, but it looks like the TLN4F is more efficient. Also, the TLN4F has two GbE ports, so I don't have to worry about the lack of support of the 10 GbE ports in this boards (link).

Is there something wrong with this build?

Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm the guy you linked to. I think you're making the right decision by going with the board that has the 2 1Gbe ports. What's awesome, for you anyhow, is that the 1Gbe board doesn't command a price premium over the 10Gbe one. That board wasn't available when I bought the 10Gbe board or I would have bought it instead. I am just now getting my setup running. Only took me 3 months. It has been nothing but a pain, with tons of setbacks, hardware conflicts and additional expense, do mostly to my mobo choice and lack of experience. I've spent far too many hours on it. Next time I will choose an older, proven setup.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
Newegg had it when I looked the other day, but now I can't find it. I wonder if I accidentally clicked on the google link for the 10Gbps NIC board? The price when I looked was $489.99, which is also the price for the 10Gbps board.

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
You probably don't need such a hefty PSU.

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
What I want to know is who's getting all the asrock boards? If they're out there?

Slovak

Explorer
I'm contemplating a similar build with the U-NAS NSC-800 case. How is yours working out?

hackoptic

Cadet
I'm contemplating a similar build with the U-NAS NSC-800 case. How is yours working out?

My build is working great. FreeNAS added support for the 10 GbE ports a few months ago so everything is working perfectly. My only problem is that the build is a little more noisy than what I would liked, but that was expected (it's in a spot with pretty low airflow).

I'm actually very interested in changing my case to one with hot-swappable bays like the U-NAS. I can't find almost any information about this in the forums. Does anyone knows what should I be looking for in a case with hot-swappable bays?

Slovak

Explorer
I'm actually very interested in changing my case to one with hot-swappable bays like the U-NAS. I can't find almost any information about this in the forums. Does anyone knows what should I be looking for in a case with hot-swappable bays?

Seems that my Supermicro motherboard is DOA. Pending RMA, I can tell you all about the U-NAS 800 case once I get a new board and put it all together!

Status
Not open for further replies.