Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have no experience with dual core boards, but someone tell me please,
could he not switch sockets/cores and see if the high temp follows the
cpu or remains at the socket?
Also might try and see what a cheap infrared thermometer will reveal,
when compared to software/bios information.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I have no experience with dual core boards, but someone tell me please,
could he not switch sockets/cores and see if the high temp follows the
cpu or remains at the socket?

Yep, you can do that ;)

Also might try and see what a cheap infrared thermometer will reveal,

Be careful of the emissivity that can totally mess-up the reading...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm no expert but that looks like A LOT of thermal paste.

That is. The best way to learn is to just try it repeatedly. Look at the picture of "just a little too much/little" I posted above to get a feel for what the result should look like if the compound spreads correctly.

tvsjr

Guru
Also, make sure you are tightening the heatsink down properly. If you don't torque it all the way down, it won't make good contact.

Tenek

Explorer
Ok, I swapped CPUs (tightening the heatsink down properly) and heat stayed at the same socket. Second socket runs at about the same 85C:
D1256974_07580024_17584

So, CPUs are fine. I'm thinking to leave things as is for now. And I will be monitoring temperatures in the live environment.

Bidule0hm

That's weird, if you ever know what's the cause please post because I'm curious to know ;)

tvsjr

Guru
Yeah... that hot, and it's a near certainty that processor is getting throttled, which will result in all sorts of odd performance issues if you ever start stressing the system heavily. Have you tried setting the fans to full speed via ipmitool or BIOS, just to see what happens?

Tenek

Explorer
I forgot to install air baffle o_O after I swapped CPUs.
Now, with installed air baffle it says 80C average on the hotter CPU (with optimal fan configuration at ~5800RPM). Which is a positive result! Reinstalling heat-sink helped to bring temperature down by 5C.
If I set full speed (~7000RPM) for fans the temperature goes down to 76C. But full speed is not an option.
I also checked that every fan is rotating and didn't see any blockages.
D1256974_07580024_12461

CPUs:
D1256974_07580024_12479

80C - Is it something more acceptable?

tvsjr

Guru
Did you ever try to stress your system with with Prime95? Just curious what is your temperatures, since we have similar MB and CPUs.
Mid-60s under extreme load, if memory serves.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Mid-60s under extreme load, if memory serves.
Which sounds about right, for any modern processor with a functioning cooling solution.

Tenek

Explorer
id-60s under extreme load, if memory serves.
Ok, sounds like I need reduce heat by at least 10C more. I can try to reboot IHS (never did that before).
Will ArctiClean 1/2 and Arctic Silver 5 will work OK for rebooting IHS or I have to get a diff stuff?
Do I need to re-glule it or I can just clamp it down?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, sounds like I need reduce heat by at least 10C more. I can try to reboot IHS (never did that before).
Will ArctiClean 1/2 and Arctic Silver 5 will work OK for rebooting IHS or I have to get a diff stuff?
Do I need to re-glule it or I can just clam it down?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

That said, Arctic Silver 5 has a very good reputation. I've used a cheap-ass (but supposedly quite good) Cooler Master TIM, but now I use the Noctua stuff, since it's a bit better.

In any case, the choice of thermal paste (as long as you stick with decent stuff) won't seriously affect you either way. Proper use is much more important. And you do have a problem and, at this point, I'm not quite sure what to suggest. If all fans are working, baffles in place and heatsinks unobstructed, you probably have poor contact with the CPU(s). Maybe try using a little less paste and make sure all screws are as tight as they should be.

Tenek

Explorer
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
I was referring to recommendation from Bidule0hm to reinstall Integrate Heat Sink (IHS) for CPU:
Ok, I think I know where's the problem: the IHS is maybe not level and/or there's maybe not enough/too many thermal paste between the IHS and the die.
I never did that before and found a couple youtube videos about it. But I was wondering is ArctiClean 1/2 and Arctic Silver 5 will work in this case since it will be applied directly to die.

I'm running out of options. I will try to reinstall heat-sink with a little less thermal paste. this how it looked after my last application btw:
D1256974_07580024_25837

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I was referring to recommendation from Bidule0hm to reinstall Integrate Heat Sink (IHS) for CPU:

I never did that before and found a couple youtube videos about it. But I was wondering is ArctiClean 1/2 and Arctic Silver 5 will work in this case since it will be applied directly to die.

I'm running out of options. I will try to reinstall heat-sink with a little less thermal paste. this how it looked after my last application btw:
D1256974_07580024_25837
Oof. Messing with the IHS is a genuine Very Bad Idea (tm).

In fact, on a Xeon E5, it's almost certainly soldered on to the die, meaning you can't even remove it without destroying the CPU.

That picture looks good. It's hard to place just the right amount, but maybe a little less would've been good. Definitely not something that should heavily impact your thermals.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Don't.

Opinion: slightly too much paste but not enough to explain the significant heat. You've got spreading out to the corners and a little off the edge. That's too much. Look at this:

ttv1-27.jpg

That's slightly too little in this picture, but you'd rather be closer to that than too much. There's just a little too much paste judging from your picture. There's a sort-of plus-shaped region in the center of your picture that looks just about perfect (assuming the heatsink looks the same) but the outlying areas are not that great. I can't really find the picture that I want. :smile:

Bidule0hm

Yep, just to be clear: I wasn't recommending doing that, just a possibility, and you need to be sure of what you're doing, etc. :)

But as the heat doesn't follow the CPU and stay on the same socket I'm pretty sure the problem is not this one. That's why I'm curious to know the cause if you find it, I have no idea of what it can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.