SuperChassis 847E16: MB/CPU/HDs recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It doesn't seem to be possible to have the AP9631 do a shutdown on its own - I just spent some time looking around one of our SMX1500RM2U's that has a 9631 and temp probe in it. It looks like there's probably a way to have APC PowerChute monitor it and then initiate a shutdown from a PC running that agent, or possibly something with an external relay, which is something we don't have here. I'd be cautious because if what they're suggesting is to hook up to the EPO, that'll result in an immediate load drop.

Tenek

Explorer
jgreco, thanks for checking.
I think you are right. It requires APC PowerChute. All my quest OSes will be windows so they will compatible with PowerChute. FreeNas is not. But, I have Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH runnign 24/7, so I can install PowerChute there and have it monitor UPS and send shutdown signal over SSH to freenas with 10 minutes delay to give guest OSes time to shutdown appropriately. Although all sequensing/delay thing is not clear to me. I think I will take my chances and will order AP9631 to experiment. And if it will not work I will cut holes on the walls and will install fans. Rock and Roll!

I bought server from these guys.
They said that they get 80 Degrees as well. Not sure, either all their servers are too hot or it is normal for this particular configuration. TCase for my CPU is 80C. Also I read somewhere that TCase temp and core temp are the different things. Dunno.

Cant blame YOU since I bought from them almost 3 times. Great pricing and very beat up stuff unfortenately.

jgreco, thanks for checking.
I think you are right. It requires APC PowerChute. All my quest OSes will be windows so they will compatible with PowerChute. FreeNas is not. But, I have Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH runnign 24/7, so I can install PowerChute there and have it monitor UPS and send shutdown signal over SSH to freenas with 10 minutes delay to give guest OSes time to shutdown appropriately. Although all sequensing/delay thing is not clear to me. I think I will take my chances and will order AP9631 to experiment. And if it will not work I will cut holes on the walls and will install fans. Rock and Roll!

I have this AP9631 on my ups too. You can use the apc software with you windows clients and ap9631 will shutdown them anyway you like, and for freenas you can use the usb cable from the ups to your freenas server , and setup freenas to shutdown the way you like it. Works perfect, and no third party software or tuning is needed because everything is supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.