SMB Server Build for ESXi and File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

antivirus

Dabbler
I’m building out a server for a business environment. The use cases will be as an iSCSI ESXi datastore for 4 hosts in a cluster with sync enabled, CIFS for VM backup with Veeam and file sharing throughout the company.

Here are the hardware specs:

Server Chassis: Supermicro Superchassis SC836E16-R1200B
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DT3-F
CPU: Dual Intel Xeon L5640 @ 2.27 GHz
RAM: 96GB DDR3 ECC (12 x 8GB)
Controller: M1015 flashed to IT Mode
Backplane: SAS2-836EL2, one SAS cable to the M1015 should give me access to all 16 drives
NIC: Quad Port Intel NIC + 1 onboard Intel NIC
Power Supplies: Dual 1200 watt
UPS: APC Smart-UPS 1200VA
Drives: 6x 3TB WD Reds, 6x 4TB WD Reds, 2x 100GB S3700s, 1x 480GB Intel 730

The configuration I was thinking about would be mirrored vdevs with 4TB drives for the datastore with mirrored 8GB SLOG comprised of 100GB S3700s. Additionally, thinking about a 320GB L2ARC using an Intel 730 480GB drive.

For the file sharing and backup I was going to do RAIDZ2 with the 3TB drives and enable backups of the VMs at night so the disks wouldn’t be hit too hard during the day. Not planning on putting SSDs for SLOG or L2ARC.

I wanted to get some feedback as to the setup and if there is anything that I'm missing. Thanks!

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
/passes out.

Someone is actually buying something resembling an appropriate build for a FreeNAS box running as an ESXi datastore. I can't believe it.

Did hell freeze over?

Is the world gonna end tomorrow?

zambanini

Patron
come on cb, like his post , )

which sw do you plan to use for vsphere dr backup?

antivirus

Dabbler
/passes out.

Someone is actually buying something resembling an appropriate build for a FreeNAS box running as an ESXi datastore. I can't believe it.

Did hell freeze over?

Is the world gonna end tomorrow?

Maybe I should add a hardware RAID controller for added protection, reduce some RAM to save money, and get WD greens.

In all seriousness though, there are a lot of topics covering ESXi datastores and usually you chime in with the same issues : needs more RAM, add a SLOG, need l2ARC, sync enabled, you'll saturate your NIC before you need to worry etc.

The plan to avoid NIC saturation is to use multipathing on the iSCSI side and dual GB links to the switch via LACP for the workstations to access the CIFS shares.

come on cb, like his post , )

which sw do you plan to use for vsphere dr backup?

I've had success in the past using Veeam so probably going to schedule that to run at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.