SOLVED Strange disk I/O behaviour

Davvo

MVP
Does anyone know why my pool disks have this kind of activity (see attachment)? Maybe a SMART thing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 152

LarsR

Guru
If that are your only disks/pool then it's most likely the system Dataset.
If you've installed to an ssd try moving the boot pool to the ssd from the hdd pool.

Davvo

MVP
If that are your only disks/pool then it's most likely the system Dataset.
If you've installed to an ssd try moving the boot pool to the ssd from the hdd pool.
As in my signature, the OS is installed in a SSD (ada0).
The two spinners in mirror are the vdev with the data.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Possibly, Where is your system dataset?

UI: System > System Dataset

Davvo

MVP
Possibly, Where is your system dataset?

UI: System > System Dataset
Yup, it is in my "data" pool. Should I just change it to the boot pool? Anything I should know before doing it?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Depends on what you want to achieve. What's the problem with that disk activity? Spinning disks with all probability won't die prematurely from that.

You can move the system dataset to the boot pool at the expense of all these writes going to the boot pool. It's up to you to decide if you want that.

Davvo

MVP
Depends on what you want to achieve.
Nothing, I just wanted to investigate that behaviour. But maybe it could reduce the disk activity and spread out the wear more evenly between the data pool and the boot pool (which doesn't see a lot of activity after booting).
You can move the system dataset to the boot pool at the expense of all these writes going to the boot pool.
If I lose my boot pool then I just upload the old config file in a new SSD right? Or do I lose the pool?

I will probably move it.