Storage Cube build for serious collectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seani

Dabbler
sorry to bump an old thread, however in this case I am curious how your system is doing and how you have liked your Lian D-8000 case since getting it all going back in January? I am considering getting the same case.

No problem. Since my first post my system is running 24/7 without major errors (though I made some changes in the configuration). The 64GB of RAM I first used passed an 48h Memtest but produced errors during the burn-in of the drives (darn thing). That's when I decided to switch the RAM to 128GB and more drives. Instead of 10 drives as one big Z2 pool I used 2x 8 8TB drives with Z2 as 2 separate pools and a 120gb SSD as the boot drive. Also I changed the cooling situation. At first I used 6x 120mm in the front to blow the air from one side to the other (3 out of the 6 fans had dust filters installed directly on the fan) with 2 140mm fans in the back (one blowing in over the mainboard and one blowing the air from the CPU out) for a balanced airflow. It turned out that the drives behind the dust filters went too hot (43°C in summer) while the others stayed at 38°C.
I bought 2 of these
https://www.caseking.de/demciflex-staubfilter-fuer-480mm-radiatoren-schwarz-schwarz-zust-067.html
to install directly on the outside of the case instead of single filters on each fan. That did the trick. I only got 42°C once when the room temperature was about 35°C (I simply shut the Server down that day).
With the new dust filters (which are installed with magnets and really easy to clean (though they are damn expensive)) the cooling works well in the case with 6x 120mm fans pulling air in the front and 3 140mm fans (at higher RPM) in the back to push the air out. Even with 16 7200 RPM drives there are no noticable vibrations in the case and the values of the internal vibration sensors of the drives are good as well. Someone doubted the processor I bought and had concerns with SAMBA performance. Well... I always get 119MiB/s with sequential data via SAMBA and the load on the processor is almost not noticeable. Overall the performance of the system is stunning. I run Plex (5 active users), PlexPy, a minecraft server, a database for Kodi (mysql), madsonic, ubuntu server via VM with Pi-Hole installed and also have 5 people that read and write data via LAN all at the same time and the cpu never gets over 60% load. Scrubbing also works very well. I think the last complete scrub took ~8hrs for a 64TB pool. With all those fans the server is quite loud if you are in the same room (wouldn't recommend it). On the other hand, not everyone has his server in the hot attic (I had no choice). In a cool cellar I think I could get the system stable unter 40°C with almost no noise.
The integration of the UPS and even LACP worked as well without a problem. Up to now the system runs smoothly and is bored/idle most of the time. 2 weeks ago I changed my internet provider and now have 100MBit/s down and 40MBit/s up stable (God praise VDSL!). Multiple streams via Plex in 1080p are now possible without the need for the cpu to convert the movies on the fly. If you have further questions, I'm happy to help.

Stux

MVP
Worth pointing out that an alternate is a 4U rack mount 24 hd hot swap bay server

Status
Not open for further replies.