First NAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenB

Cadet
This is my first crack at a NAS build and my first time ever using FreeNAS as an OS.

Case: NORCO ITX-S8 Black Black Mini-ITX Form Computer Storage Case
Case accessories: NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable x2
Case modification: SilenX Effizio EFX-08-12 80mm Quiet Case Fan x2
Board: ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz LGA 1151
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2133 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin)
PSU: Athena Power AP-MFATX50P8 500W FlexATX
OS drive: SanDisk 64GB Ultra Fit CZ43 USB 3.0 Flash Drive
GPU: EVGA GeForce 8400GS 512MB (had it laying around)
Storage drives: Seagate barracuda 7200RPM 750GB SATA HDD x8 (used drives from our DELL Equallogic iSCSI SANs at work that were replaced with 2TB drives, so they were free :) )

Built this NAS specifically to run Plex Media Server and wanted enough processing power to handle transcoding multiple 1080p streams simultaneously.

I have FreeNAS installed on the flash drive which is plugged into the USB 3.0 slot next to the processor on the motherboard (internal slot)

The drives are running RAID-Z2

Have the storage shared with SMB so I can dump ripped movies to it from my windows laptop and I have Plex Media Server running in a jail.

20161121_174435_zpsv10bwmit.jpg

20161121_174449_zpsljrqdgdw.jpg

20161121_174552_zpsewmxxqst.jpg

Storage capacity will eventually be upgraded as funds allow, but for right now it's running on free drives and on RAID Z2 as I had planned. Eventually will swap 1 drive at a time with 5+TB drives until every drive is swapped/rebuilt in the array and theoretically it should expand to the new capacity once the last drive is swapped/rebuilt.

So far everything seems to be running well, though I would like to pull that GPU out and either run without a GPU, or at least run with a GPU that is passively cooled to quiet the thing down some more. That GPU fan is a bit noisy.

So has anyone ever tried running one of these without a GPU? will it work? The processor does not have a GPU on board, and this mobo does not have its own integrated GPU, it relies on the processor having a GPU for integrated graphics to work. So I'm curious if it will boot up if I pulled the video card since it is all set up now and I don't have keyboard/monitor even hooked up to it anymore?

lukyjay

Contributor
So has anyone ever tried running one of these without a GPU? will it work? The processor does not have a GPU on board, and this mobo does not have its own integrated GPU, it relies on the processor having a GPU for integrated graphics to work. So I'm curious if it will boot up if I pulled the video card since it is all set up now and I don't have keyboard/monitor even hooked up to it anymore?

Hey great build log, thanks for sharing.

To answer your question, it comes down to your motherboard, so check the manual. You'll more than likely need to change a BIOS setting or it'll start beeping at you and POST may fail, but again, it comes down to the motherboard and they're not all the same.

m0nkey_

MVP
I like that case. Any chance of some internal pictures of it? The pictures on Newegg's website doesn't give any sense of what it looks like inside for cable management.

Status
Not open for further replies.