Will it FreeNAS? company build

Status
Not open for further replies.

B3taW0lf

Cadet
We're looking at grabbing two storinators both of them will be the 60 drive bay ones

Mobo: X10DRL
CPU: Dual E52620
Ram: 256GB ECC (I've learned the mobo can take up to a ram so this will change if needed.)
Boot drive: 1 SSD + Redundant SSD (120gb)

What's better?

2x Rocket 750s or 4x LSI 9201

10GB cooper nic

and it will be stacked with 60 of the Ironwolf 10tb drives.

Main goal is to have them set up and use arcosync as the client host backing up to the FreeNAS server. I need help picking what to use for HBA. Then of course We'll have to test to see how well arcosync works with FreeNAS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dice

Wizard
Hi! Welcome to the Forums.

What's better?
2x Rocket 750s or 4x LSI 9201
You're better off with the LSI9201.

10GB cooper nic
Do you refer to X540 ?

It is worth noting that 10Gb networking comes with some configuration and tweaking. There are some discussions threads that will prove useful to you. (search + look for sticky threads in all subforums, and resources section)

Other than that, if you've no experience with FreeNAS and ended up here to "get a kick-ass NAS" ..I'll kindly advice you to read through the newbie primers. They will be absolutely necessary to help you select suitable configurations.
A bunch of useful links are in my signature.

Stux

MVP
Make sure the Storinator is not using SATA port multipliers.

LSI cards are recommended for FreeNAS.

Was curious if the LSI cards would present a bottleneck, and if it might be worth considering SAS expanders as well.

Ironwolf 10TB drives have a max sustained read of 210MB/s

Lets call that 2.1gbps.

each of the 9211-16i cards only has 4GB/s of upstream bandwidth (lets call that 40gbps), and 96gbps of downstream (towards the drives)

So, 40gbs / 16 = 2.5gbps per drive

So, at least, there are no bottlenecks using 4 of the LSI cards to serve the drives.

It doesn't seem to make sense to use SAS expanders, providing you do have 4 8x PCIe2 ports. If not, you could use some SAS expanders instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.