SSH only working with root

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascotg

Dabbler
Hi,

So I just set up 11.0 U4 and I'm trying to get SSH to work for my users. So far only root can SSH using keys, for users I get the following error from putty: "Disconnected: no supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey).

Using the same key with root is no problem at all, and SSH using password for normal users works too. But since, that's not very safe I want my users to use keys as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ascotg

Dabbler
Hi,

Yes, I did. The strange thing is it works for root (copy paste the key and all), but not for users.

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Any errors in /var/log/messages or /var/log/auth.log when a user tries to connect?

Ascotg

Dabbler
Code:
Dec  3 07:50:14 freenas sshd[1111]: Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /mnt/Volume1/John/.ssh/authorized_keys
Dec  3 07:50:14 freenas sshd[1111]: error: Received disconnect from 192.168.0.1 port 1111:14: No supported authentication methods available [preauth]

I run a port forwarding on putty. (For security reasons my name and port have been edited)

Does this info help?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Code:
Dec  3 07:50:14 freenas sshd[1111]: Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /mnt/Volume1/John/.ssh/authorized_keys

That's the issue. That should not happen though if you paste the keys into the user's account entry. If you didn't muck with the perms manually, please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Ascotg

Dabbler
I couldn't create an account on bugs.freenas.org.

However, I think I found the root of the problem. Users have reported the following issue: on the server side, the user's home directory should not have write permission for group or other. I can't turn this off, presumably because it's set for Windows permission. Any solution?

Ascotg

Dabbler
No (I wouldn't even know how). I login to the WEBGUI and on the users page I deselect Group/Write. Click OK and the box closes. However, when I open it again nothing has changed.

D

dlavigne

Sorry, I read your post wrong. Message me the email you used to create an account on the bug tracker and I'll activate your account.

Ascotg

Dabbler
Great news, I found it. In fact it was Windows being Windows again. Here's the fix:

SSH is very picky about the home folder, it won't allow a group to have write access to it. However, since it's a Windows folder changing permissions isn't always that easy. From a Windows pc go to the network drive, right click, properties security and remove the group write access from the folder.

This video indeed helped: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

Status
Not open for further replies.