SSH Key Authentication Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Still getting authentication error...
Please show us the exact contents of the error you're seeing on the client, and the corresponding auth log from the server.
I copied the public key into the SSH Public Key box of the gui
Have you sanity-checked the copied public key? Some copying methods will introduce spurious line breaks or other whitespace.

What are your settings for SSH on the server?

Tartan88

Dabbler
@Robert Trevellyan and @danb35, I wanted to follow up and say THANK YOU for the help. After wrangling with this for a few days, I was able to figure out (with the help of a friend) that the issue was the way the key was copied onto the server. There was some line padding, etc that was throwing off the authentication.

Here is my next question -- Does anyone know how to setup Google Authenticator on FreeNAS? I have seen a few articles, but I can't seem to get it working. The repository is not updating an it doesn't appear to be enabled? Thank you, again.

danb35

Hall of Famer
setup Google Authenticator on FreeNAS?
Not at all, I expect. This probably belongs in a new thread, as it's unrelated to the original question, but what would you be trying to accomplish?

Tartan88

Dabbler
Not at all, I expect. This probably belongs in a new thread, as it's unrelated to the original question, but what would you be trying to accomplish?
I am just trying to setup 2FA when I SSH into my server remotely.

If you are looking for extra layers of security, you could set up a VPN to get you onto the local network, then require public key authentication to get into the NAS from the local network. Some VPNs can be setup to require 2FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.