SMB Shares Inaccessible from Windows 10 Map Network Drive

geoffwhere

Contributor
My problem is similar to ohers in this Topic, except everything was working previously, now it's not.
I initially suspected the problem may be related to either a recent Windows update, or my experiment with installing and running PRTG Network Monitor which involved installing SNMP and some other utility. But I've been through plenty of troubleshooting around those possibilities with no success.
So here i am at the FreeNAS end of things, hoping to find an answer.
Symptoms are:
  1. I can login to FreeNAS Server and the dashboard is fully functional
  2. I can login to Plex Server which runs on FreeNAS Server
  3. Users/Groups are present and assigned to SMB shares
  4. SNMP & SMB Service started and running on FreeNAS
  5. I try changing the user passwords on the shares but Windows Map Network Drive insists I'm using the wrong User Name or Password
  6. I've tried all the help tips at the Windows end (Features On/Off - SMB 1.0, Public/Private Sharing, TCP/IP Services, yada yada...)
The Shares remain inaccesible from Windows Explorer but FreeNAS sees them in plain view. Other NAS devices (LaCie & D-Link single bay network drives) are also visible, just unable to reach the FreeNAS Shares. I don't understand why, given the steps taken in point 5 (and others) above, I can't access these Shares.
Maybe I'm missing something simple and so obvious it's not obvious to a layman like me. Very frustrating as it was all working fine, until it wasn't.
Any help appreciated in advance.

Last edited:

geoffwhere

Contributor
I think I'm going out of my head . . . . .
I've been trying all this time to fix this issue with zero success and I don't seem to be getting much response to my request. A few suggestions have come along in an attempt to fix it - even the PRTG/Paessler network monitoring people offered a suggestion that didn't produce a result.
The thing is I keep to resetting (edit ACL permissions), entering the password to access the shares involved, checking the 'Apply User/Group' boxes, but Windows keeps telling me I'm entering the wrong network password when I try to map the Shares to Windows Explorer.
It's more than likely that I'm overlooking something simple, given the number of times I've tried without result, as everything I'm doing seems logical. But it's not working!! Perhaps someone could take me through this problem, step by step? Please!
The Sahreas are thee, the Users and Groups are all assigned logically, I edit the Share ACL and re-enter (repeatedly) the password, but Windows Explorer keeps telling me I'm entering the wrong password! What am I missing?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Instead of scattershot troubleshooting like you've been doing, please look in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd for the failed access attempts, and see what Samba's not happy about. This will provide much more focused and exact information on what's not working.

Samuel Tai

Also, please provide the output of testparm -sv, and the details of your FreeNAS hardware.

geoffwhere

Contributor
Thank you for your prompt response, looks like this might get to the heart of things. Thank you in advance.
Only problem is, I'm not up to speed on these commands you've recommended. My response to your requests follows:
look in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd - where do I find that?
provide the output of testparm -sv - I have no idea how to do this
The attached image shows my LAN setup. Notes re this as follows:
1. I am able to map and access both NAS drives 192.168.91.12 and 192.168.90.13 from Windows Explorer
2. I was previously able to map FreeNAS 192.168.90.14/public and 192.168.90.14/private but something changed to prevent that connection
3. Plex Server, which is installed and runs on the FreeNAS Server, works normally across this LAN

Home LAN NAS Configuration.jpg

Samuel Tai

These are all commands from the shell. Please login to your FreeNAS server using PuTTY. PuTTY can save a log of your key strokes and screen output.

From the shell, just cd /var/log/samba4, and then more log.smbd until you get to where you observe the access denied behavior.

Also from the shell, run testparm -sv, and provide that output here.

geoffwhere

Contributor
Trying to login via Putty, get "connection refused".
Are there specific settings for Putty?

Samuel Tai

First, is the SSH service enabled in FreeNAS? See Services->SSH. Second, is root allowed to login via SSH?

Samuel Tai

Click the pencil next to SSH in Services->SSH. There will be a checkbox to allow root to login with password. Check that, and click Save.

Samuel Tai

Are you connecting to the FreeNAS IP or name? Try the IP.

Samuel Tai

SSH is port 22. Yes, Connection type SSH.

Samuel Tai

/var/log/samba4 is not an executable; it's a directory. Use cd /var/log/samba4. Then once you're in the directory, run more log.smbd until you get to your access denied.

geoffwhere

Contributor
OK, I got the cd command right and the 'more log.smbd' but I've got no idea what I'm looking for and don't know how to extract the screen dump into a log file

Samuel Tai

Right-click the upper-left corner of PuTTY to bring up the session menu. Select Change Settings... This will bring up the PuTTY config dialog.

1597330597817.png

Select the Printable output radio button, and click the Browse... button to tell PuTTY where to save the session log file.

Samuel Tai

OK, try mapping your share until you get the error. This will put the latest attempt at the top of the log.smbd. Then more through log.smbd to see what Samba's complaining about.