SMB Shares Inaccessible from Windows 10. What if I may have checked 'Apply Recursively'? Could that be the reason?

geoffwhere

Contributor
What say I?
1. Don't change any settings on your laptop right now. Windows 10 HOME may be installed on both your laptop and desktop, but are the builds and configurations & updates exactly in step?
2. Connections from your Windows 10 Home laptop to FreeNAS shares are as expected when using the testuser account credentials. In your case, the three folders seen in Windows correspond to the three FreeNAS SMB shares, but remember you've only configured the "testset" share to be accessed by the testuser account.
You should know enough now to make the other FreeNAS shares available by setting the correct dataset ACL in FreeNAS for the matching account you want to use when connecting in Windows. Then, you should be able to at least access your "Geoff" share using the "Geoff" account from your laptop. Don't mess with, or try connecting to, "Public" as a guest at the moment.
Remember if you map drives to shares and check the "reconnect on login" option then Windows will try to connect using the credentials (name/password) stored in the credentials manager. If you need to map more than one share in this way, Windows will try to use the same stored credentials for each share. For example, you can't expect to reconnect as a guest user to one share and as the "Geoff" user to another share at the same time.
3. Things may have worked on your desktop at one time in the past, but who knows what changes may have occurred. Your Windows desktop displays an error which when googled seems to have cropped on Windows 10 Home in various situations at different times. I've no idea why it happens. In some instances, the simple remedy of using the format "computername\username" rather than just "username" when entering the network credentials has made a difference (the computername here is that of the Window desktop). Others found this format worked: "<ip of server>/<username>", e.g. "192.168.10.20/fred" instead of just "fred" for the name, where the IP would be that of the FreeNAs box, substitute your own values.
How to proceed?
4. Sort out the access to your "Geoff" share from your laptop, to prove to yourself it works. Leave the "Public" share for now.
5. Try the suggestions in 3 above for accessing testset share from your desktop. Otherwise google on the Windows error message.
6. I doubt your problem with accessing your FreeNAS shares form your windows 10 home desktop will be fixed by starting from scratch on FreeNAS.
I'm back on deck (not completely) and have revisited this debacle, with no further success than we were having previously. I must say I'm completely bamboozled by the inconconsistencies in this configuration. Despite my and your formidable effort, we don't seem to be able to crack it. Rather than crawl back over the previous ins and outs, I've tried to start with a fresh view to document the setup as best I can (see attached) in the hope that something will jump off the page.
The major puzzle to my mind is why can I access from Windows 10 two other NAS devices but not FreeNAS?
I've reinstalled Windows 10 as there were issues with drivers and other Windows gremlins, but so far that hasn't made any difference.
Perhaps if you could take a look at the attached document, maybe we can take a step back and devise a process of elimination that will solve the issue. If we can't, I'm almost at the point of ditching FreeNAS (subject to retrieving data from the /Public and /Geoff Shares) and finding a different, hopefully more straight forward path.
To add insult to injury, ixSystems are now offering an upgrade to TrueNAS but, after getting this uninformative alert from FreeNAS (CRITICAL Pool Primary_Data state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.. Fri, 12 Feb 2021 04:36:33 PM (Asia/Jakarta), along with regular, unexplained unscheduled system restarts, I'm seriously doubting the stability of the platform.
I hope you're safe and well and able to continue helping to solve this mystery.
Regards, Geoff

Attachments

• TRYING TO FIX FREENAS W10 ACCESS.pdf
    184.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

geoffwhere

Contributor
attached document
I forgot to mention that, although I'm able to connect to FreeNAS Shares from the Zorin Ubuntu PC, I am only able to see the Folders and Files but unable to open any Files. The same behaviour occurs if I try to open files via PlexServer Dashboard that are inside the FreeNAS-Plex SMB Shares. The response is always "unable to open this file". yet I 'm able to open files that are on the 2 single bay NAS devices, both from Windows or Zorin.
This seems to isolate the problem to the freeNAS anvironment but, as I've been up and down FreeNAS SMB Shares and User/Group permissions many times, I'm stumped as to which setting is causing the blockage.