Map Network Drive - FreeNAS SMB not working 11.3 (user error, not a bug)

oxymo

Cadet
Oh great gurus of FreeNAS, hear my calls. I am pulling my hair out, but steadily chipping away at my issues. However, I am almost out of hair...

I am trying to wrap my head around permissions. There is a ton of information available, but it's hard to tell what is applicable to current release and what is not.

I've created 2 SMB shares:
/mnt/tank/Media
/mnt/tank/Turtle

I can access both shares as a Win10 Network location under \\FREENAS\, with full rw access. I cannot map either as a network drive, I receive an error 0x80070035, network path not found. I am using the same credentials when attempting to map the drive as I do when accessing the Network location.

What am I missing to map as network drives?

oxymo

Cadet
I didn't have group correct. Created a new group named turtle, assigned user, set ACL group to turtle. Win10 > Map Network Drive > Browse and it mapped.

dashtesla

Explorer
Yea seems like there are a ton of issues with samba lately I've also been having problems with permissions and active directory, but I think the devs are aware and working on it there are a few threads about it already including one of my own and since we're not getting any replies quickly (as you would if you say used a hardware raid card or installed freenas to a floppy disk or something like that) it means it's probably not us doing something wrong but rather something broken that needs to be fixed.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yea seems like there are a ton of issues with samba lately I've also been having problems with permissions and active directory, but I think the devs are aware and working on it there are a few threads about it already including one of my own and since we're not getting any replies quickly (as you would if you say used a hardware raid card or installed freenas to a floppy disk or something like that) it means it's probably not us doing something wrong but rather something broken that needs to be fixed.

I'm not aware of any ACL-related bugs. So far I've only seen user configuration issues. Most common mistake is users removing permission to traverse to their shares. At present there are also no confirmed samba bugs.

dashtesla

Explorer
I'm not aware of any ACL-related bugs. So far I've only seen user configuration issues. Most common mistake is users removing permission to traverse to their shares. At present there are also no confirmed samba bugs.
I've been having problems with Active Directory + FreeNAS + Samba now where the problem lies I'm still not sure but at least I can confirm a simple share with ACL to include two active directory users one being admin full control and another a read only user doesn't work now that was 11.3 beta and 11.2 stable. By doesn't work I mean you go to Windows or Mac and you get permission denied and from time to time FreeNAS disconnects from the AD DC.

I'm destroying my entire server right now moving all the data out of it and starting over fresh with the new 11.3 stable to see what happens, if it still doesn't work i'll report back with some actual errors and information that might help everyone and possibly file a bug if we're certain it's a bug.

diedrichg

Wizard
I'm destroying my entire server right now moving all the data out of it and starting over fresh with the new 11.3 stable to see what happens, if it still doesn't work i'll report back with some actual errors and information that might help everyone and possibly file a bug if we're certain it's a bug.
No need to "destroy your entire server" and move your data off. If you insist on starting fresh then just go to the main console and select the option to start with a fresh config. There is probably a GUI button for this too.

Best option is to check the box on the ACL menu to reset all ACLs. Reset your permissions after you've done this to all datasets and the top level vdev. Leave Inherit set, I tore my hair out not realizing this needed to be kept to traverse subdirectories.

dashtesla

Explorer
No need to "destroy your entire server" and move your data off. If you insist on starting fresh then just go to the main console and select the option to start with a fresh config. There is probably a GUI button for this too.

Best option is to check the box on the ACL menu to reset all ACLs. Reset your permissions after you've done this to all datasets and the top level vdev. Leave Inherit set, I tore my hair out not realizing this needed to be kept to traverse subdirectories.
Gives me a chance to sort data and also just like a fresh format of any operating system just gives you some extra confidence about it not being anything messed up previously or an older zfs pool version etc I'm sure it's possible to save time and in reality there's no need to start over but i rather do that for peace of mind and leave any bugs behind so i can run any tests before moving data permanently while using the actual hard drives and same layout etc