SLOG on 2x Optane - mirrored vs striped SLOG peculiarity

Kailee71

Contributor
:cool: Uh oh, am I in the sin bin?
[Edit]
Just to clarify - I didn't mean to draw parallels to Jock's prickly prose, but rather to the invaluable quality of your content. Apologies if this came across the wrong way.
[/Edit]

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, let's get serious for a minute here...

I went back to the start and you're talking about SLOG and wanting to speed things up but not being worried about losing stuff...

That's a conflict that's easily resolved by simply changing the approach to match your parameters.

Set the dataset(s) to be sync=disabled and forget about SLOG, it will go to RAM and not wait for the commit to disk notification, so will be at fastest possible speed... with the risk of data loss in the scenarios already discussed here.

I hope that answers you as you wished.

Kailee71

Contributor
While I haven't tested this, are you sure the 5 second interval doesn't affect large async transfers without tuning?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The 5 second interval is about flushing the slog to the pool. I think Pool-resident ZIL isn't required to confirm async writes... maybe somebody knows better.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Uh?

The 5 second interval is about flushing the slog to the pool.

Nope. SLOG writes are always lock-step with the sync write requests. There is never a read of the SLOG, except at pool import time, so "flushing the slog to the pool" is not a thing that happens. You're confusing a few different interactions here, sorry.

I think Pool-resident ZIL isn't required to confirm async writes...

No SLOG or ZIL is required to "confirm" ASYNC writes. Async writes always ONLY go to the in-memory transaction group that is being built out, to be flushed out with the txg.

ANY synchronous write HAS to be committed to the ZIL in order to guarantee compliance with the POSIX requirement to be "committed to stable storage" (I believe is the wording used). This can be the in-pool ZIL space, or a separate SLOG device holding the pool's ZIL.

But those statements may be hard to understand if your concept of ZIL/SLOG is incorrect.

There are basically two things happening in parallel.

Every single write, no matter what, gets written into main memory as part of the currently building transaction group. This will be flushed out to the pool when the transaction group size limit is reached, or after five seconds, whichever is less. This bit has NOTHING to do with ZIL/SLOG. It is how data is written to the pool.

Additionally, because metadata often MUST be written synchronously, and because sometimes we ALSO want file data written synchronously, ZFS has the ZIL mechanism. This "intent log" will commit a write to disk (whether in-pool ZIL or external SLOG) before returning a success status to the operating system. This data is NEVER read during normal operation, and is ONLY used at pool import time to verify and, if needed, recover the few seconds of activity that was in-flight at the time the pool stopped. Which should only be a concern if the filer crashed or lost power.

Writes not tagged for SYNC are not written to the ZIL, and ONLY go to the transaction group mechanism.

This should dispel any misunderstanding as to the SLOG being some sort of write cache; it isn't. It also isn't needed for most other use cases. If you are trying to manipulate thousands of small files quickly, or doing database work, or doing VM's, then there are definitely a lot of factors to consider for both SLOG and ARC/L2ARC sizing.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Nope. SLOG writes are always lock-step with the sync write requests.
I get your point... The memory resident copy is what's flushed, but the SLOG (and memory) won't be allowed to build up beyond that point if the flush can't happen.

No SLOG or ZIL is required to "confirm" ASYNC writes.
OK, that's what I was trying to say.

Writes not tagged for SYNC are not written to the ZIL, and ONLY go to the transaction group mechanism.
Perfect... that would support the recommendation I made.

Generally thanks for the clarity.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
SLOG (and memory) won't be allowed to build up

I think you get the point, but for the rest of the audience, I'm going to say this is poorly stated, in that no transactions to the SLOG or in-pool ZIL can "build up" in the manner this could be read to imply. The ZIL transactions are always lock-step. You are correct in that transaction groups, the things in memory, are not allowed to build up to arbitrarily large amounts of stuff to write to disk. I find it easiest to see these in my mind as two completely parallel and nearly disconnected processes.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
So question again, is it possible to devote 320GB of 384GB RAM to dirty data to smooth out high burst data dumps please?
In a word, "yes" but you'll also need to adjust zfs_txg_timeout or the 5s default timer will trip you up well before that 320GB threshold is reached.

Bear in mind that you're opening yourself up to a potentially huge world of hurt in terms of data loss, as well as some "unexpected edge case" types of behaviour when ZFS needs to flush 100GB+ to stable vdevs and still occasionally return reads back.

bonox

Dabbler
That transaction timeout would explain why it would appear not to work so far. Thanks honeybadger. At this stage I think I'm really just having fun playing with lose-able data and trying to maximise performance of my use case. optane is pointless here anyway. It's a 1RU server with no free pci slots as the three are already the HBAs and NICs. I'll have a further dig around the transaction parameters and have a fiddle. Are there any others you know of what I should be looking at in addition to this one and the throttle params?

Sounds like it could be worth prioritising zfs_vdev_async_write_min_active under the scheduler banner but since the demand on the pool is pretty much just write, there may not be any point changing from defaults. Maybe zfs_delay_scale as well. Probably sort that out with some benchmarking.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think we need to go back to what @jgreco was saying... I don't think the txg timeouts/flushing even apply if you're using sync=disabled.

awasb

Patron
Uh?

Nope. SLOG writes are always lock-step with the sync write requests. There is never a read of the SLOG, except at pool import time, so "flushing the slog to the pool" is not a thing that happens. You're confusing a few different interactions here, sorry.

No SLOG or ZIL is required to "confirm" ASYNC writes. Async writes always ONLY go to the in-memory transaction group that is being built out, to be flushed out with the txg.

ANY synchronous write HAS to be committed to the ZIL in order to guarantee compliance with the POSIX requirement to be "committed to stable storage" (I believe is the wording used). This can be the in-pool ZIL space, or a separate SLOG device holding the pool's ZIL.

But those statements may be hard to understand if your concept of ZIL/SLOG is incorrect.

There are basically two things happening in parallel.

[...]
"We want pics!"

sretalla