SLOG on 2x Optane - mirrored vs striped SLOG peculiarity

bonox

Dabbler
Point of interest though, when you've got a single 300GB file like these, (any suitably large file really, ie anything bigger than your SLOG size) you're really only home once the whole file makes it to disk. A SLOG won't help you if the write fails anywhere in the middle - from the first byte to the last - which is true of all default values (64GB txg trigger or 5 seconds etc) or stuffing the whole thing asynchronously into RAM (with much bigger values than the defaults like 320GB and 300 seconds) and writing it out to disk slowly as the performance of the pool will allow.

I've not seen anywhere in the literature a suggestion that the SLOG should be at minimum the size of the largest file you want to be sure you don't lose to a kernel panic or power out. This should surely mean that a SLOG is only of value to any synchronous write smaller than the 10%/4GB margin in general or at least up to the size of the SLOG. The Jim Salter article notes that the SLOG only needs to be small - to account for a few seconds worth of writes.

It [SLOG] also doesn’t need to be very large – just enough to hold a few seconds’ worth of writes is the quote.

Any single file larger than that will automatically be corrupted with a failure, SLOG or not. And a continuation of my earlier thoughts on "you'll lose what's in a large dirty RAM cache if you get a power fail/kernel panic etc", yes that's true, but i still don't see a difference between losing a complete file in RAM (after a full bore transfer from the file source) on the filer part way through the pool write, and the alternative of having the server panic and stop part way through a file write when the data is still trickling in more slowly over the network with the filer throttling the input to control a slow writing pool. They will both fail to write the file and a verify from the file source will pick up that failure. That's true of both asynchronous and sync/slog behaviour isn't it?

Have I understood that right or not? Is ZFS's SLOG capable for example of picking exactly where you left off, so a fail in the last half of a sync 60GB file write would still succeed on restart with a 32GB SLOG? But a fail in the first half would always produce a corrupted result.

I realise i've wandered in and out of sync/async in my rambling above, hopefully you work out what i mean....

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I've not seen anywhere in the literature a suggestion that the SLOG should be at minimum the size of the largest file you want to be sure you don't lose to a kernel panic or power out.
Probably because it isn't a factor as you're theorizing...

ZFS works in blocks, not files, so blocks are what are reported back as written to the requesting service when sync writes are requested.

As long as the calling service isn't told that the entire file has finished having all its blocks written, all is good in the world since it can't possibly think it was finished, so should not have let go of it's end of feeding the data in, feeling like it was done.

The only danger we've been talking about here is when you tell the requesting service you've written to disk (but haven't really) and then lose that content.

Is ZFS's SLOG capable for example of picking exactly where you left off, so a fail in the last half of a sync 60GB file write would still succeed on restart with a 32GB SLOG?
Maybe... it's 100% dependent on the calling service (and application behind it). If it can handle some blocks already being there and continue, no problem. ZFS doesn't care... all the blocks it said were on disk are there.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Have I understood that right or not? Is ZFS's SLOG capable for example of picking exactly where you left off, so a fail in the last half of a sync 60GB file write would still succeed on restart with a 32GB SLOG? But a fail in the first half would always produce a corrupted result.
That's going to be more based on the client side and if the protocol you're using tolerates remote failures gracefully, and with enough retries/duration for you to detect the failure, complete the reboot, and reimport the pool. If it's a particularly patient client and a fast server, you might get it done before the timeout, but I believe the popular expression these days is "press X to doubt" if I'm honest.

To paraphrase, having an SLOG is more about having the server and client agree on the state of the file. In a sync-write scenario the client will at least have the same idea if the file is safe or corrupted. Async, you could write the entire file to the server, the client would think it's safe, and then on recovery be very disappointed to find out that isn't true.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The Jim Salter article notes that the SLOG only needs to be small - to account for a few seconds worth of writes.

Which is how you know not to take the article particularly seriously. There's no characterization of what the factors are, just things he read in random places on the Internet.

I've not seen anywhere in the literature a suggestion that the SLOG should be at minimum the size of the largest file you want to be sure you don't lose to a kernel panic or power out

Correct. The ZIL/SLOG has *nothing* to do with files or file sizes. It has to do with protecting individual data or metadata blocks being written to the pool, for the reasons @HoneyBadger discusses above. Otherwise, how would you ever write a 1TB file to your filer without a 1TB SLOG device? That'd be crazy.

Any single file larger than that will automatically be corrupted with a failure, SLOG or not.

False, unless you're defining "corrupted" to include truncated, where it COULD be true in some cases. But as @HoneyBadger says, this is really more about the protocol and resilience. The very REASON for SLOG devices to exist is to prevent the loss of write data, so that you can be writing with NFS or iSCSI (let's say from a hypervisor, but it really doesn't matter), the filer panicks, reboots, reimports the pool, commits the ZIL, and picks up exactly where it left off, as long as the client reconnects and retries the unacknowledged block in process. Zero loss, zero corruption, zero truncation. That is the purpose of sync writes, and it is GUARANTEED.

bonox

Dabbler
Thanks all. I do regard a truncated file as corrupted but i've obviously been erroneously labouring under the misapprehension that NFS and SMB are file and not block related mechanisms like iSCSI. Certainly my experience in general has been that none of my clients would wait 20+ minutes for this file server to restart so any large file caught in that trap would be lost regardless of slog. It may be possible I suppose, but i've also never seen a built in windows OS file copy pick up a partial file and continue like FTP/rsync can. Much to learn I have.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
i've obviously been erroneously labouring under the misapprehension that NFS and SMB are file and not block related mechanisms

Well, they ARE file mechanisms, obviously.

Certainly my experience in general has been that none of my clients would wait 20+ minutes for this file server to restart

NFS will *absolutely* be happy to stall until your fileserver recovers unless you have soft mount enabled. As a matter of fact, you cannot get any other behaviour out of a hard mount, and only a reboot of the client will cause the stuck processes to clear, in most cases. If you are able to interrupt, you may have soft mounts enabled. This would allow for NFS client I/O on the NFS filesystem to be interrupted.

However, underneath it all, a filesystem essentially works on TOP of a block data store. This is very clear with things such as UFS/FFS. It's less clear with ZFS, because the storage manager and the filesystem are merged in a way that allows them to work cooperatively. Still, certain aspects of ZFS, such as how the ZIL/SLOG works, are really block-level issues and have very little to do with files.

sretalla