Server keeps rebooting during snapshot replication

somewhatdamaged

Dabbler
Well no idea what changed, but replication has worked without issue and no reboots

The only thing that changed really was removing some files from the FLAC folder, so wondering perhaps if there was some kind of corruption in them causing an issue? I'll see how it gets on tomorrow and check for random reboots.

Thanks so much for all your help and excellent advice

The only thing that changed really was removing some files from the FLAC folder, so wondering perhaps if there was some kind of corruption in them causing an issue?
ZFS with native encryption can surface some really bizarre issues that even go under the developers' radar. Last time it was due to "deep symlinks". Who knows, maybe this time it had something to do with particular filenames or a combination thereof. Maybe such files were "incomplete" and shared a similar bug with the symlink issue.

For the record, it shouldn't be like this. I still hate how it reacts by panicking and doing a hard reboot.

somewhatdamaged

Dabbler
Yes, would be good if at least SOMETHING was mentioned in the syslog too. I know because its effectively a reset it doesnt have chance, but there must be something that could be logged to assist in fault finding

I ran into a very similar problem.

I set up a second NAS and started a replication task.

Always after about an hour and after the same amount of transferred data and the same snapshot, the NAS restarts and stays in this kind of loop consisting of restarts, as long as the replication task is running.

The datasets that are transferred from the first NAS are encrypted.
Only if I uncheck "Include Dataset Properties" the replication task runs without errors.

I couldn't find anything in the log files, they are pretty "empty" (like someone pulled the plug).

I haven't tested it out but the error only seems to occur with datasets larger than about 350GB.

The strange part is that just a few days ago everything was working without any problems.
About two weeks ago I upgraded the first NAS from TrueNAS Core 12.0 U8.1 to TrueNAS Core 13.0 U3.1 and then to TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.0 and the second NAS from TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.0 to 22.12.1.
A few days after the update from the second NAS, the error occurred.

From what I'm reading here, the bug is known, isn't it?
Is there a bug report for this?

FrankWard

Explorer
I ran into this today replicating from Scale to Core. Once I kick off the replication task the remote Core NAS reboots immediately. The dataset is not encrypted at source, but is on remote, and has been working fine. I made a few small changes to exclude specific children from the replication task and now it fails. Since it was already rebooting, I installed the latest Core release, and after it rebooted I unlocked the dataset and it worked.

Last edited: