Resource icon

Scripted Plex installation

Yorick

Wizard
Yup. I don't cover permissions for the dataset that holds your Media. If you want to use Plex's optimization feature, it needs full access. I created an SMB dataset / share with a very simple setup: Owner nobody, Group shared (all my FreeNAS local users that map to Windows users are in this group); owner and group full access, everyone for read access (this covers plex for read), then add a user acl for user 972 (that's plex) with full access.

Last edited:

Jord9857

Explorer
Yup. I don't cover permissions for the dataset that holds your Media. If you want to use Plex's optimization feature, it needs full access. I created an SMB dataset / share with a very simple setup: Owner nobody, Group shared (all my FreeNAS local users are in this group); owner and group full access, everyone for read access (this covers plex for read), then add a user acl for user 972 (that's plex) with full access.

I followed the steps that you did in the video for creating the datasets and attaching the mount to the jail. So now when i add films etc into this Media dataset, they'll sync up to Plex library now correct?
I followed this https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester112:shares_basic#dokuwiki__top as much as i could (as it's missing a few settings & I already have an dataset set up)

I've just set up an Windows Shared to the Media folder, now i gotta set permissions. I don't want to 'block out' Plex or my other laptop accessing this folder though.

1588262113418.png

Yorick

Wizard
So now when i add films etc into this Media dataset, they'll sync up to Plex library now correct?

Correct, as long as Plex knows where to look. You should keep Movies, TV Shows and Music in separate folders, which become separate libraries inside Plex.

For permissions, I gave you my setup, which works well for a household where every Windows user is allowed full access to the Media share. Your ACL will grow longer if you need to be more granular.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Just create plex_data as a dataset, mount it into the jail once the jail has been created
I'd agree with create as a dataset, but no need to mount it into the jail--the script does that.

Jord9857

Explorer
I've got an issue trying to access Plex admin web page....

1588267864788.png

It was all going so well, I've managed to set up email alerts with gmail, shared drive so i can access from another laptop, but can't access the main thing!! Followed @Yorick Youtube video used @danb35 script

Attachments

• 1588267713529.png
    1588267713529.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 453

danb35

Hall of Famer
What is that awful background color? But in any event, you're missing the port number--you'd browse to 192.168.3.102:32400/web.

Jord9857

Explorer
I've also tried '<IP address>:32400/web/index.html '

It worked before i uninstalled it and then did this script

Yorick

Wizard
192.168.3.102 - is that your subnet or did you just copy an address from my example? :)

You have to use an address in YOUR network, with YOUR next-hop gateway. You can always change that in the jail settings through GUI.

I sometimes forget how non-intuitive some of these things are that I take for granted, like what a subnet is and how IP addressing works. Welcome to the learning curve, you're doing great!

Jord9857

Explorer
192.168.3.102 - is that your subnet or did you just copy an address from my example? :)

You have to use an address in YOUR network, with YOUR next-hop gateway. You can always change that in the jail settings through GUI.

I sometimes forget how non-intuitive some of these things are that I take for granted, like what a subnet is and how IP addressing works. Welcome to the learning curve, you're doing great!

When I installed Plex without this script, that was the IP so i decided to re-use & keep it the same...

Yorick

Wizard
Right, so now you get to look at networking. Is your DHCP server "stepping on" that IP, i.e., might assign it to another device in the network? Do you have the right default gateway? From within the jail, provided you have raw sockets on so ping works, can you ping the default gateway? Can you ping the plex IP from your PC?

Edit: Triple-check that's really your subnet. 192.168.3.0/24 is unusual, it means you chose that subnet at some point. Default home network is often 192.168.1.0/24.

Yorick

Wizard
Test from within the jail, see what's going on. 'iocage console JAILNAME' will get you in from CLI.

Yorick

Wizard
You are pinging itself. Can you get out to something else on dot three, such as that PC? Can you reach the next-hop gateway? How about 8.8.8.8?

Step by step troubleshooting is a bit much for this thread, I'd take this into its own forum thread or just work through it and see where you get to.

Jord9857

Explorer
You are pinging itself. Can you get out to something else on dot three, such as that PC? Can you reach the next-hop gateway? How about 8.8.8.8?

Step by step troubleshooting is a bit much for this thread, I'd take this into its own forum thread or just work through it and see where you get to.

1588271628434.png

I can ping the NAS and 8.8.8.8

Yorick

Wizard
This is pretty basic and: You've confirmed the plexmediaserver service is running inside the jail?