SAS Drives are not being detected

DAmin

Cadet
Hi, I have a problem where all drives that are plugged in directly in the motherboard via SAS connection are not being detected in TrueNAS SCALE. I recently upgraded from TrueNAS CORE to SCALE because my NIC wasn't being detected, but now it's the hard drives. The boot-pool is being detected and is composed of 2 SAVVIO listed down below, in a RAID 1 config and that one is detected. I've tried to wipe them, create a new VD for each one of them and use them without a VD and nothing has worked so far.

I'm using an old Dell R710 PowerEdge with some Dell certified SAVVIO 10K.3.

All drives are being detected in the BIOS, but not in the disks tab. I will accept help without hesitation.

Capture d’écran 2023-04-16 192142.png
Capture d’écran 2023-04-16 192506.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's because you should not be using a hardware RAID controller at all, with the possible exception of the boot pool.

DAmin

Cadet
So do I just rip out my RAID card or if I keep it I don’t think I can initialize the drive without putting it in a RAID X config. Can I also ask why it worked in TrueNAS Core but not in SCALE?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please describe in great detail how you have your hard drives connected. It sounds like you have two drives connected to a RAID card and treated as a single boot drive. How many and how are the other drives connected?

If it was working fine in Core, it should still be working in Scale. Also, what version of Scale? What in in your Dell Poweredge?

DAmin

Cadet
Please describe in great detail how you have your hard drives connected. It sounds like you have two drives connected to a RAID card and treated as a single boot drive. How many and how are the other drives connected?

If it was working fine in Core, it should still be working in Scale. Also, what version of Scale? What in in your Dell Poweredge?
It’s exactly that for the first part, Eric Loewe said that for the other drives that aren’t in the boot pool the RAID card shouldn’t be used. The dell server is said in the first message but it’s the Dell R710 PowerEdge.

DAmin

Cadet

So do I just rip out my RAID card or if I keep it I don’t think I can initialize the drive without putting it in a RAID X config. Can I also ask why it worked in TrueNAS Core but not in SCALE?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
"Works" is not the word I'd choose. "Doesn't immediately break in an obvious way" is more appropriate. The why part is down to differences in the drivers and SCSI subsystems between Linux and FreeBSD.

The solution, in abstract terms, is to use an HBA, as per the documentation. For more concrete advice, we'd need to know more details about the setup.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If the drives that are not being detected are connected to the motherboard directly, then it is not your add-on RAID card for the boot-pool. It is more likely lack of a driver issue with Scale. As @Ericloewe has said, the solution is probably an additional or replacement HBA for the other drives. If you have a mirrored boot-pool with fail-over and that is what you desire, then I would say keep it. Just add a new HBA card.

If Core is working for you, I'd suggest you roll back to Core. If Scale is something you need, then you will likely need that HBA.

DAmin

Cadet
Could I just replace de RAID card with a 6GBS SAS HBA, would that have any chance of working with scale?

joeschmuck

Old Man

DAmin

Cadet
I think I found my solution. A Dell H200 Flashed into IT mode to replace the RAID card in the Dell R710. performance are going to improve and TrueNAS should work too. If you find that that's a bad idea or you have a better one sand it to me and I will take it. Thanks!