Added more hard drives, only 1 is detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
Like the title says, I added new hard drives to my system, 5 specifically, but only one is detected when I went to create a pool. I have a Supermicro X10SL7-F-O motherboard that is less than 3 months old, which has 6 SATA ports and 8 SAS ports, the latter which can be flashed into IT mode which I did. 3 of the hard drives are now plugged into the SAS ports, the only drives that are using them. The other two are in the two remaining SATA ports. I noticed that the one drive that is detected is plugged into one of the SATA ports. Swapping both power and SATA cables with the other one plugged into the other SATA port resulted in the other drive not being detected, but the one that was detected is no longer. So, bad SATA port? What about the 3 plugged into the SAS ports? Why aren't they detected? I'm a noob with both FreeNAS and server hardware, any help is greatly appreciated. My only pool is at 89% capacity and I really need to get these drives up and running.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Has the motherboard worked before?

I'd also investigate bad power.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
I never tested the other sata or sas ports before. How would I investigate bad power? I didn't mention that the sata power cord that 4 of the 5 new drives are using was what used to power the 4 drives that make up my current pool, so the cable itself is ok.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I never tested the other sata or sas ports before. How would I investigate bad power? I didn't mention that the sata power cord that 4 of the 5 new drives are using was what used to power the 4 drives that make up my current pool, so the cable itself is ok.
A different PSU is just about the only way. Honestly, you'll have to try changing stuff until you figure out what's wrong - no way around it.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
Thankfully I found the problem. It was stupid though. The latch on the modular power cable was broken and the cable was just loose enough to not make a connection. Should have checked it sooner. Oh well. On another note, I notice that one of the five drives isn't listing a serial number in the WebGUI. I guess as long as the other four do, it won't make replacing them with larger drives later a problem.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thankfully I found the problem. It was stupid though. The latch on the modular power cable was broken and the cable was just loose enough to not make a connection. Should have checked it sooner. Oh well. On another note, I notice that one of the five drives isn't listing a serial number in the WebGUI. I guess as long as the other four do, it won't make replacing them with larger drives later a problem.
Is the LSI controller at P16 IT firmware?

danb35

Hall of Famer

DGenerateKane

Explorer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you're using 9.3, you'll get a warning if you're not at P16.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
I'm not, I'm still on 9.2.1.7 which is what I started with. I admit I'm a bit leery upgrading and something going wrong and I can't access my NAS. I think I'll try upgrading this weekend though.

Status
Not open for further replies.