Samsung P961/P951 firmware update recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eds89

Contributor
Hi Guys,

Is it recommended to update Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD firmware versions before use with FreeNAS?

I have a PM953 and just wondering if there are any recommendations on updating the firmware to a certain level before using as a SLOG?

Cheers
Eds

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It has always been my general rule that if there is a new firmware, I should install it because it probably fixes something that didn't work properly to begin with. I make it a practice to update systems before putting them in service. I usually don't update firmware while the system is in service because I don't want to make a change that will impact function. The exception is if I know the firmware update will improve function.

Eds89

Contributor
I personally go about things in the same fashion, just wanted to be sure there was no concern over compatibility with FreeNAS and newer firmware revisions.
If there are currently no major concerns, I will go ahead and update now before the build is put into a live scenario.

Cheers

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't think I have heard of anyone using that drive for SLOG.
The Intel DC NVMe SSD is what usually gets recommended and it is what I purchased.

Eds89

Contributor
Sorry, what I actually have is an SM953, not a PM953.
Still seems to have decent performance, and PLP, so will hopefully suit my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.