SOLVED Stumped re: Intel SSD Firmware Update on SuperMicro X10SDV-7TP4F Motherboard

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Good morning,

I recently ran across a thread suggesting a user update his Optane's firmware and decided this would be a good idea for all of my Intel SSD drives, consisting of four 3610's and one Optane NVMe p4801x. I dutifully downloaded the relevant SSD updater ZIP from Intel (which is allegedly OS-agnostic), unzipped the archive, located the ISO, used BalenaEtcher to burn the ISO onto a USB stick (it verified). Then I reconfigured the boot mode to Legacy on my SuperMicro board, followed by setting the USB stick in position 1 of the boot order. Reboot, get the Supermicro splash screen, all is well until I get the following error message:

ISOLINUX 6.04 EHDD Copyright (c) 1994-2015 H. Peter Anvin et al

Failed to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in the SSD firmware update? Are there any workarounds? FWIW, the USB drive will not mount on my Mac, suggesting a funky file system.:smile:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I never burned these but used the "remote media" function of Supermicro's IPMI.

HTH,
Patrick

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
In addtion to @Patrick M. Hausen's suggestion, there are more options you can try:
  • If you have an optical drive in the system, burn the ISO to a CD/DVD
  • Use Rufus as an alternative tool to create the bootable USB drive
Good luck

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Rufus was the way to go! I only use my Windows emulator a few times a year, but this is another instance of Parallels saving my bacon.

Problem solved, that ISO burned by Rufus onto a USB stick was mountable even by my Mac, booted and updated the Optane drive just fine. I let the folk behind BalenaEtcher know they have some improvement potential. :smile:

Not sure the Intel SSD Updater could "see" the S3610's (all of them are on the LSI HBA) as it didn't mention them but I'll deal with that some other time. Thank you all!

Last edited: