SABnzbd HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

azwillnj

Dabbler
You could try it and see if things work well. I would think it would be lower IOPs because flash drives are usually pretty slow, but letting your drives spin down sounds like a good idea to try.

The only thing that I can think of that would require a fast transfer to the jails is transcoding shows in the plex server. But that should be mainly a CPU task, right?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The only thing that I can think of that would require a fast transfer to the jails is transcoding shows in the plex server. But that should be mainly a CPU task, right?
Plex transcoding may not even hit the USB drive hard because it would be reading from your data drives and storing the transcoded chunks in memory (though it may store these on disk, not sure).

azwillnj

Dabbler
Last night I deleted all my plugins and all the jails, added a flash drive to the system, restarted, changed the jail location and went to sleep. This morning before work I tried to install Plex and got this error message...

Please help, I use Plex every day, before last night it was the only plugin that was working still and I was manually feeding it new media. I thought freenas would have been the easier option for this setup but I'm sort of wishing I had gone with Ubuntu.

May 29 06:51:28 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.231
May 29 06:51:44 freenas last message repeated 2 times
May 29 06:51:47 freenas warden: Building new Jail... Please wait...
May 29 06:51:47 freenas warden: zfs clone Jails/.warden-template-pluginjail@clean Jails/plexmediaserver_2
May 29 06:52:51 freenas warden: Success!
May 29 06:52:51 freenas warden: Jail created at /mnt/Jails/plexmediaserver_2
May 29 06:52:52 freenas kernel: epair3a: Ethernet address: 02:b7:a3:00:0c:0a
May 29 06:52:52 freenas kernel: epair3b: Ethernet address: 02:b7:a3:00:0d:0b
May 29 06:52:52 freenas kernel: epair3a: link state changed to UP
May 29 06:52:52 freenas kernel: epair3b: link state changed to UP
May 29 06:52:52 freenas kernel: epair3a: promiscuous mode enabled
May 29 06:52:52 freenas kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair3b
May 29 06:52:53 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: The command /usr/sbin/jexec 4 /usr/local/sbin/pbi_add -f --no-checksig /.plugins/plexmediaserver-0.9.9.7.429-amd64.pbi failed: ""]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mord_Sith

Cadet
I mentioned this earlier in the thread when my Plex bonked...

MANUAL RE-INSTALL

Appcafe has an older version of Plex on it for FreeNAS (don't know offhand if linking is OK, but that should be enough information to google it.) as well as several other programs.

What this will do is create a whole new jail, so none of your pre-existing Jail names will apply, using the plugin add method seems to attempt to re-use the old Jail information which may in fact be bonked.

From there you can no longer update using the webGUI; however, at least Plex will update itself if you let it and the webGUI will reflect that eventually.

I do not proclaim myself to be any sort of FreeNAS expert here, just telling you what worked for me thusfar, I still look at the plugin list with wary trepidation after my encounter with this particular bug.

azwillnj

Dabbler
Thanks for all the help everyone, I am currently pulling all my data off of my server and am going to switch over to something else, I think I'm going to try Amahi. I can't trust an OS that breaks 5 plugins after simply restarting with seemingly no fix.

Again, thanks for all the help.

joshmxpx

Dabbler
This error is happening to me after a scrub was performed. After the scrub none of my plugins (cp, sb, transmission) will start and are returning 502 errors. I did not make any config changes and everything was running fine before the scrub...

What can I do to get this running again? If the only option is to reinstall the plugins, what is the best course of action for that?

Thanks

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
I am having the same problems with Sickbrard, Sabnzbd and Couchpotato. I installed all three ok before and they aere connecting to the internet. tehen all of a sufdden none worked tried all Icould think of, deleting all instances and deleting theJails.

this last tiem I could not get attacehd t the internet and als could not see into the folfers, found my permisssions were route and wheel. I changed all this to Nobody andno group and still non of my plugins could access the internet, but I could see my data now. I rebooted Freenas and then my plugins dissappeared from the tree. Icould see then through the Plugins, Installed and all were switched off andnow they wont switch on. I tried then going to DHCP and rebooting then Icould not see my GUI as it was set at 192.168.1.2 and I cou not find another IP thatit was on. I conected up to a screento reset the IP via the boot menu.

Inoticed when I did this that the when going to change the IP it came up with mentions of each plugin at 192.168.1.2 and cron jobswith an error, unfortunately I did not capture these.

Ihave however got the following from my screen. IVe beenat this for about a week now and cant seem to fathom it out.

YEs im not a UNIX guru or a Freenas Guru thats why m asking. I folowied the instructions and info on forums but to no avail.

attacehd is all the mesages since last reboot.

Attachments

• FreeNAS Plugin fail.txt
    40.1 KB · Views: 308

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
permissions have nothing to do with the plugins ability to access the internet. sounds like a network issue.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
I have a small network, one laptop two iPhones, an ipad, an andriod phone and a openelec xbmc raspeberry.
There did not appear to be any ip conflicts, the Freenas box is direct to the server on 192.xxx.1.2 my router is 192.xxx.1.1 and my gateway and name server is 192.xxx.1.1 also.

I have now set everything to have static ip addresses andd still my plugins are not available on the tree and I get the bad gateway error.

Where should I be looking?

I am using 9.2.1.5 I'll try upgrading and see if that helps. cancel the upgrade until the full telease is out.
Each Jail CANping 8.8.8.8

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Update

Last Night I deleted all plugins, then deleted the jails, however this time when I deleted the plugins the Jails automatically deleted themselves.
I then made sure That My IP address range for the plugins was at a different range to my other Clients – phones, Ipad etc.

I set Static addresses for everything and deleted the previous static addresses for my plugins jails as I couldn’t be sure the Mac addresses would come back identical.

So I was then back to no Jails and no plugins, my FreeNAS only had the CIFS client.

So then I did a reboot with the Auto tune on which developed three tuneable’s and three Sysctls. Sorry i’m at work so don’t have the details. I then switched a Autotune off.

So back to Loading Plugins – Sickbeard first – it took about 20 minutes and loaded ok
Then Sabnzbd – Loaded ok.

From the SABnzbd_1 jail I pinged 8.8.8.8 (OK ) then pinged www.google.com (OK too)

I then Set up Sabnzbd –ok and did a reboot to see if any problems existed. It came back ok however Sick beard had disappeared from the tree.

So I added the Sickbeard IP and Mac to my router as a Static address rebooted FreeNAS and Sickbeard came back.

I Setup Sickbeard and Connected to Sabnzbd ok but when I tried to Connect to the internet for a tv show there was no connection.

Tried pining 8.8.8.8 with no luck.

So I then Rebooted the Router after adding the SAbnzbd IP and Mac as Static addresses.

When it came back Sickbeard was ok.

Then I checked my Sabnzbd setup and I could not see into my Datasets, checked the Permissions which were on Root & wheel so changed both the Sickbeard_1 and SABnzbd_1 jails to Nobody & nogroup with 777 permissions. Rebooted everything and it now seems ok.

Now I have my fingers crossed as it was all working before and I will progress onto Couchpotato and others.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
my problem has come back again, I changed sabto sickbeard.py and then noticed I had lost access to all my plugins. I notced also that my log had this error

freenas kernel: arp: 192.168.1.2 moved from 02:aa:47:00:09:0a to 40:16:7e:28:27:a8 on epair2b

Attachments

• plugin fails.txt
    40.5 KB · Views: 262

Nick Howard

Contributor
This also constantly happens to me. I've run into this problem on 4 separate occasions now and the only way to resolve this is to remove the jails and delete the plugins and start a fresh. I've also reset to factory defaults and rebuilt my volume on 3 occasions and the same issue keeps cropping up. Everything else works perfectly but there's something seriously buggy with Freenas and these plugins. I've not touched my server in the last week aside from downloading a few movies via transmission. I watched something on Plex last night and checked the status of the downloads that were in progress and everything looked fine. I've just returned from work and been confronted with this issue yet again. Plex is the only plugin still working as has been the case previously.

All the plugins are now in the off position, attempting to switch them on gives the 'some error occurred' message.

e89u7b.png

Here's the bad gateway message in the footer.

5k5c74.jpg

All of my devices on the network are set to use static IP address and I can still ping them all. There's no conflict on my network yet this keeps rearing it's ugly head. It's more than frustrating and I can't work out what's causing it.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Hi

I just about gave up on them as in the last few instances my Jails could not get onto the internet at all, it seems my Router (3bb i am in thailand) has to have the Static addresses allocated from within the DHCP pool (not from outside the DHCP pool as some others mention) but that still does not stop the problems.

I then went down to a manually installed Jail and Router settings all fine but still could not get internet access via the jail. I did notice that promiscuos mode was not set on my router, what I did last night was delete the plugins, jails andthe Dataset they were in. I wanted to do a fresh install and noticed 9.2.1.6 was released so used that now I've got internet access from my Jial, tehjat may have been teh fresh install activating Promiscuos mode) but now I cannot create extra folders within my Jail Media folder. Probably need to check some permissions.

Going to try again Tonight.

Nick Howard

Contributor
I've also moved the plugins IP addresses right at the top end of the range, well away from everything else. Those addresses from 200 on wards are now out of the scope of DHCP. I don't know for certain and going by what you say that this hasn't fixed this issue for you, but I'm just wondering if when random devices have joined my network they've clashed with the plugins/jails. The missus often has her mates over and they go through work together, so there's often 3 or 4 laptops joining the network.

It's the last time I'm installing the plugins anyway, if it crashes out on me again I give up! I'll report back in a few weeks.......if it gets that far : )

As you can see the plugins are well out of the way now.
30kvlsw.png

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
I beleive it si soemthing to do with Network and router setup. In the Jail setup the part about image requiring Promiscuos mode. I added Promisc to theInterface setup. in options i Added promisc. THis apparently ensures the NIC send ALL info to the not just that addressed to the NIC- someone please tell me if Im wrong.

I also ensured that my Router EXCLUDED the Jail range from the DHCP. now ive got internat access from my Jail. Butin the last minute I installed Sickbeard and it will not start. so Im going to try to reboot.

Rebooted- now SABnzbd has turned off and will not start.Mind you THat might be down to an update that didnt appear to work.

Last edited:

Zon

Cadet
FWIW (I don't know if folks still have this problem), I recently was trying to set up a Transmission jail and started encountering this error. Googling led me to this post. Long story short, after much hair pulling, reinstalling, and carefully re-configuring while watching for this error to pop up, the thing that caused it for me was setting a hostname in rc.conf. If I did that, I got this 502 Gateway error. If I deleted the hostname line from rc.conf and restarted the jail, the problem went away. It's not a fix, and may not be an option for some, but it might be worth experimenting to see if this makes a difference.

FWIW (I don't know if folks still have this problem), I recently was trying to set up a Transmission jail and started encountering this error. Googling led me to this post. Long story short, after much hair pulling, reinstalling, and carefully re-configuring while watching for this error to pop up, the thing that caused it for me was setting a hostname in rc.conf. If I did that, I got this 502 Gateway error. If I deleted the hostname line from rc.conf and restarted the jail, the problem went away. It's not a fix, and may not be an option for some, but it might be worth experimenting to see if this makes a difference.

I had the same problem - after changing the hostname and a jail-/freenas-restart, that plugin was not controllable via web-interface anymore. Though the plugin itself was working. This was very annoying - I looked into it and found the problem. The fix works for me. Now i can use custom hostnames.
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/5889

BKK

Dabbler
Same problem with Couch Potato. Seems like there is no fix for this :( I'd like to stick with FreeNAS but I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

Hey guys, not sure if anyone has made any more progress on this issue. I'm new to FreeNAS (9.2.1.8 x64) and I've recently come across this issue as well. I was using a number of plugins including: Transmission, Plex, Coach Potato, Sick Beard, and Crashplan.

I tried a couple of solutions as mentioned in this thread. But I came across another solution that seems to always work for me. It's not great, but at least it let's me get all my plug-ins working again.

The solution is to basically uninstall everything and create a BRAND new jails directory. I then modify the configuration of the Jails to point to this new jail directory. Make sure its named something different then you've used in the past. Then reinstall your plug-ins and you'll be good to go.

What I find interesting about this issue is that it appears FreeNAS isn't cleaning itself up so even though I created a brand new Jail directory and re-installed it still remembers all my previous storage settings for each of my plugins.

Anyways hope this helps. Let me know if this works for others..

Status
Not open for further replies.