Return to TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin

sstruke

Dabbler
Is there any possibility to go back to TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin. pool for Apps is no longer recognized in the Bluefin system

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
@sstruke as part of you upgrade to cobia did you upgrade your pools? If so, due to the new OpenZFS feature flags changes the pools will not be compatible with Bluefin.

sstruke

Dabbler
@sstruke as part of you upgrade to cobia did you upgrade your pools? If so, due to the new OpenZFS feature flags changes the pools will not be compatible with Bluefin.
I didn't upgrade my pools, only the applications somehow updated themselves and now I can't go back

LarsR

Guru
you should be able to select the previous boot enviroment from bluefin and after reboot be back on bluefin.

sstruke

Dabbler
I chose previous boot environment but it refuses to recognize the pole on which the applications are installed.
it returns me an
error: [EINVAL] kubernetes_update.force: Apps have been partially initialized on 'AppsVolume' pool but it is missing 'AppsVolume/ix-applications/docker' datasets. Specify force to override this and let system re-initialize applications.

On cobia apps work

neofusion

Contributor
I chose previous boot environment but it refuses to recognize the pole on which the applications are installed.
it returns me an
error: [EINVAL] kubernetes_update.force: Apps have been partially initialized on 'AppsVolume' pool but it is missing 'AppsVolume/ix-applications/docker' datasets. Specify force to override this and let system re-initialize applications.

On cobia apps work
I don't believe they provide a way to return the Apps dataset to the previous version.
This is the first beta of Cobia and intended for testing purposes only. It's not ready for valuable data you can't afford to lose and iXSystems have been pretty clear on that.

Restore to a backup or perhaps try wiping your Apps dataset and start over.

sstruke

Dabbler
I don't believe they provide a way to return the Apps dataset to the previous version.
This is the first beta of Cobia and intended for testing purposes only. It's not ready for valuable data you can't afford to lose and iXSystems have been pretty clear on that.

Restore to a backup or perhaps try wiping your Apps dataset and start over.
However, it takes quite some time to delete and set up anew. That's why I'm looking for help so that I don't regret it later

neofusion

Contributor
However, it takes quite some time to delete and set up anew. That's why I'm looking for help so that I don't regret it later
I don't know of a way but perhaps someone else here does, good luck.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
In fact, kobia doesn't even give me any problems, it has only one drawback that OneDrive sync is missing
OneDrive had to be removed because driver was not supported with current python.

sstruke

Dabbler

HPloco

Cadet
it returns me an

On cobia apps work
go to the selected pool for apps, then ix-applications i.e. /mnt/'NAME_OF_POOL'/ix-applications, and delete apps_migrations.json and migrations.json. After reboot truenas and pray that none of your apps have changed.

nautilus7

Dabbler
Just for the info, this didn't work for me coming back to bluefin 22.12.4.2 from cobia 23.10.01. Same error about app dataset.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Caught this thread a bit late in the game, but I wanted to take a moment to give some clarity to how upgrades / rollbacks should be handled.

When upgrading to a major new release, on your "best practice checklist" you should always do the following:

1. Save your Config file
2. Snapshot your Pool
3. Do NOT do pool-wide ZFS upgrades until you are ready to commit to the new version forever

Apps are particularly tricky, since a lot of the on-disk data is not something you can roll backwards after its structure has been updated. Having that pool snapshot you can roll back to if you need to downgrade will be your failsafe here. Worst case you will need to delete the App and re-deploy it if you didn't take the step to have a snapshot in place that you can roll back to.

Lastly, I am curious what App breakages you ran into on upgrade. If you are using TrueCharts or other unsupported Catalog, I understand there's been quite a few things broken. But the "Official" App catalog should be pretty consistent and we actively fix those issues, so we'd want to know if something was screwed up there.

nautilus7

Dabbler
Me personally didn't create a snapshot of the app dataset...

I am using truecharts apps and frigate nvr for my cams among others. I have an m.2 coral tpu, but there are no precompiled drivers for debian bookworm (cobia), so I had to rollback. Apart from that all my truecharts apps were working fine.