Rescue Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

reloaded

Dabbler
Hi, I have been called back to sort out a FreeNAS Mini system I set up, the O/S seems to be absent or trashed I have only had a little look-see. My guess is that I will have to completely re-install FreeNAS, I now know the "config" should have been backed up but I should be able to import the volumes. My question is, since I doubt that it was upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10, will there be any compatibility issues if I load 9.10 as the operating system with volumes which previously ran under 9.3? I presume I could download the 9.3 version and load that if needed.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Typically the upgrade should work fine, just install the current version od 9.10 and then Auto Import the pool and restore the config file. I would however NOT upgrade the pool when the Alert starts to flash but instead just disable the alert for that. If you upgrade your pool and something goes wrong, you will not be able to roll back to 9.3.

Of course, backup the config file again once all is done.

reloaded

Dabbler
Thanks, quick out of the blocks for an oldie. From what you say I would be well advised to mug up on the procedure for upgrading the pool. Thanks again.

joeschmuck

Old Man
There is no reason to upgrade the pool unless you can benefit from some added feature, which is unlikely, but most people like to upgrade it just because they feel they have to. I haven't upgraded my pool since I created it years ago and it works perfectly fine. But I leave that up to you.

reloaded

Dabbler
Yes, I was about to say that was a short read........just say NO but I got sidetracked into the problem of converting the User Guide to pdf.....bla, bla bla.

gpsguy

You can download a PDF and/or ePub version of it using a link in my signature. I refresh it frequently.

Yes, I was about to say that was a short read........just say NO but I got sidetracked into the problem of converting the User Guide to pdf.....bla, bla bla.

joeschmuck

Old Man
LOL, well good luck, I don't think you have a difficult job unless the configuration file is toast. Also, use a new boot device if you can, odds are the old one is bad if it's a USB Flash Drive. Use USB 2.0 device if you can find one.

reloaded

Dabbler
The FreeNAS Mini comes with a USB internal dome or something and I had mirrored to two more USB sticks permanantly in place. I handed the whole thing over to the new head of IT supposedly an expert of some sort and not an enthusiastic chancer like me on a third of his pay. He managed to trash both syncthing which was feeding the FreeNAS box from a Windows PC and FreNAS itself. Still it's all work.

reloaded

Dabbler
And thanks for the pdf link. Perhaps someone could tell cyberjock, it was his three year old post bemoaning the change to html that I was reading.

reloaded

Dabbler
While we are on the subject what are all these #.U versions about?

gpsguy

Stux

MVP
Here's hoping the motherboard hasn't died. If it has it should be covered under asrock warranty.

reloaded

Dabbler
Don't be like that................I had a quick look at the IPMI interface and couldn't see anything obvious.

Stux

MVP
I really am hoping it's not a motherboard issue. They are very common with that motherboard unfortunately.

reloaded

Dabbler
Thanks for everyone's help on this, happy to report the installation of 9.10 on my sleeping box did the trick and I found my backup config file and hey presto, back to life. I received no Alert regarding upgrading the pool so I am wondering if my temporary replacement administrator upgraded the system and pool and killed the box, and told no one. Is that possible? I see that I can check the pool version but I am not sure that I could interpret the information and the exercise would be academic unless others have an interest in the dangers of a pool upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.