SOLVED No Boot after 9.3 -> 9.10 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherup

Dabbler
I have done the Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.10 via the GUI which works fine. After rebooting the system does not come back online.
When checking the boot messages I can only find the grub message:

"error: no such device: a36793ea6243f0fd" - assuming data data freenas data partition is not found...

and I will be switched in the grub rescue mode.

Now I am slightly lost how to boot my system and to get access to my data.

Any tips what I can to to fix that and/or to get back my data ?
Can I use the grub rescue mode to boot into the system ?

Regards,

Cherup

D

dlavigne

I'd try burning the latest 9.10 version to a different USB stick and see if that boots. It sounds like an issue with the existing boot device.

cherup

Dabbler
I have done this also - with the new USB media with 9.10 I can boot, but not sure how to come to my old data.
I have seen that my data mirror is existing and online - which looks good. I have imported the zpool "Data" to the new Boot media, which looks fine as far as I can say:

[root@freenas] ~# zpool status
pool: Data
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 27.4M in 13h13m with 0 errors on Sun Mar 13 05:13:36 2016
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
Data ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/e8aa5a67-9111-11e5-b7d2-d050994450a4 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/d80e16eb-912b-11e5-aabc-d050994450a4 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

My goal is now to access my Data which is in my Data Pool (without destroying the data!)- not sure how to do it...

D

dlavigne

Sounds like the only thing you're missing is your config. Did you save a copy of it? Or is the system still not booting?

cherup

Dabbler
Hmm I still have my old usb sticks. With them system is not booting. The the new one I can boot, but i do not have access to my data. Can I import my old config to the new usb stick ?

cherup

Dabbler
Luckily I can solve it by using one of my old USB Sticks. Configuration was still available on this stick and with the reinstallation of 9.10 the configuration was migrated. So everything is working again.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.