Firmware upgrade failed from 9.2.1.3 to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aFreeNASUser

Cadet
Hello,

I have been using FreeNAS for some time (since 9.2.1.3 was released, at least) without any issues, but was interested in some of the new virtual box hosting features of the more recent versions so decided to upgrade to 9.3, then possibly also to 9.10.

I backed up the config file and data, then attempted to do a GUI upgrade to 9.3, but it seems to have failed during the process:

Code:
g_vfs_done():da8s2a[READ(offset=509169664, length=131072)]error = 5
g_vfs_done():da8s2a[READ(offset=509026304, length=12288)]error = 5
./Packages/base-os-9.3-RELEASE-44f2ca1-3b4abc3-109b881.tgz: Error reading '/mnt/gui-packages.tar'
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
FAILED PACKAGE EXTRACTION
/trampoline.rc: /bin/sh: not found
 Done!
Applying upgrade...1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1048576 bytes transferred in 0.415352 secs (2524547 bytes/sec)
da8 created
da8p1 added
da8p2 added
active set on da8
No handlers could be found for logger "freenasOS.Configuration"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/freenas-install", line 56, in <module>
    if installer.GetPackages() != True:
  File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Installer.py", line 739, in GetPackages
    raise InstallerPackageNotFoundException("%s-%s" % (pkg.Name(), pkg.Version()))
freenasOS.Installer.InstallerPackageNotFoundException: base-os-9.3-RELEASE-44f2ca1-3b4abc3-109b881
The FreeNAS upgrade on da8 has failed. Press any key to continue...

After continuing, and eventually rebooting, the system refuses to boot, saying it cannot find the boot media. As the boot media in question was formerly a 8GB USB thumb drive, I'll likely try to upgrade onto a new USB boot device, and either try to upgrade from the new USB device, or otherwise do a fresh install / import config and datasets.

The question I have is should I just try to do a fresh install of 9.10 and then re-import the 9.2.1.3 configuration file, or should I try to do an ISO upgrade to 9.3 first, then try the GUI upgrade again from there? I should also mention that I am several thousand miles away from the physical file server and my interaction with it is somewhat limited to the hands I can find to mash keys with.

My system is configured as follows:

Motherboard: supermicro x8dth-if
RAM: 48GB ECC
Processors: 2x Xeon 5506
RAID Controller: Areca ARC-1224-8i (JBOD)

The storage is 8x 4TB drives in two volumes (RAIDZ2) of five and three disks respectively, with a single dataset spanning both volumes.

Thank you in advance for any insight you might offer.

aFreeNASUser

Cadet
So... Managed to do a fresh install of 9.2.1.9 (baby steps as described here) and upload the config, now trying GUI upgrade to 9.3.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
So... Managed to do a fresh install of 9.2.1.9 (baby steps as described here) and upload the config, now trying GUI upgrade to 9.3.
Make sure to save a copy of your configuration file at each step, just in case you need it to revert to that particular version if an upgrade fails. Earlier you mentioned restoring a configuration file from an earlier version onto a newer version of FreeNAS. I'm pretty sure that won't work, as the configuration .db file changes over time.

Good luck!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Also you'll want to stay on 9.3 if you want to continue to use virtualbox, it has been deprecated and the template removed from the latest 9.10 release.

aFreeNASUser

Cadet
Thanks for the heads up, will stick with 9.3 for the time being, then... GUI update from 9.2.1.9 went without a hitch.

aFreeNASUser

Cadet
...Earlier you mentioned restoring a configuration file from an earlier version onto a newer version of FreeNAS. I'm pretty sure that won't work, as the configuration .db file changes over time...

Actually, I wound up doing this with 9.2.1.3 -> 9.2.1.9 which seemed to work fine (not too heavy of a configuration, mainly CIFS and some RSync) but I would imagine there would be issues trying to upload configurations from 9.2.1.3 -> 9.10, from what I've seen.

Is there any danger in using the now working 9.3 configuration file for when I do go to 9.10 (I would guess this is the "appropriate'" upgrade path?)

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Actually, I wound up doing this with 9.2.1.3 -> 9.2.1.9 which seemed to work fine (not too heavy of a configuration, mainly CIFS and some RSync) but I would imagine there would be issues trying to upload configurations from 9.2.1.3 -> 9.10, from what I've seen.

Is there any danger in using the now working 9.3 configuration file for when I do go to 9.10 (I would guess this is the "appropriate'" upgrade path?)

Anyway, thanks for your help!
Yeah, it all depends on whether the developers change the structure of the configuration files - it doesn't always change between versions. If it does change, the upgrade process modifies your existing file - which is a good reason for always backing these up as you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.