Request for advice for new transitioners

ene

Cadet
Merhaba Truenas'a geçmek isteyen biri olarak birkaç soru olacak;
1) Gelecekte orta değişiklik bir şirkette (200 TB depolama ve 250 kullanıcı) kullanmak istiyorum. Truenas Core veya Scale benim için iyi bir seçenek mi? Sıfırdan öğreneceğim için ikisi de benim için eşitlendi.

2 ) Hangisi daha kullanıcı dostudur?

3 ) Synology'yi aktif olarak kullanan biri olarak Truena'nın paylaşım ayarları neden bu kadar zor ve kullanılışsız? Bunu synology - qnap gibi daha kullanıcı dostu hale getirmek çok mu zor? Neden böyle bir yöntem izleniyor?

umarım konuyu doğru yere açmışımdır

joeschmuck

Old Man
Translated to English
Hello, as someone who wants to switch to Truenas, I have a few questions;
1) I want to use it in a mid-range company (200 TB storage and 250 users) in the future. Is Truenas Core or Scale a good option for me? Since I will be learning from scratch, both are equalized for me.

2) Which one is more user friendly?

3) As someone who actively uses Synology, why are Truena's sharing settings so difficult and unusable? Is it very difficult to make this more user friendly like synology - qnap? Why is such a method followed?

I hope I opened this topic in the right place.
@ene, Please translate your text into English before posting. You will get more responses.

Reactions: ene

ene

Cadet
Merhaba Truenas'a geçmek isteyen biri olarak birkaç soru olacak;
1) Gelecekte orta değişiklik bir şirkette (200 TB depolama ve 250 kullanıcı) kullanmak istiyorum. Truenas Core veya Scale benim için iyi bir seçenek mi? Sıfırdan öğreneceğim için ikisi de benim için eşitlendi.

2 ) Hangisi daha kullanıcı dostudur?

3 ) Synology'yi aktif olarak kullanan biri olarak Truena'nın paylaşım ayarları neden bu kadar zor ve kullanılışsız? Bunu synology - qnap gibi daha kullanıcı dostu hale getirmek çok mu zor? Neden böyle bir yöntem izleniyor?

umarım konuyu doğru yere açmışımdır
1) I want to use it in a mid-range company (200 TB storage and 250 users) in the future. Is Truenas Core or Scale a good option for me? Since I will be learning from scratch, both are equalized for me.

3) As someone who actively uses Synology, why are Truena's sharing settings so difficult and unusable? Is it very difficult to make this more user friendly like synology - qnap? Why is such a method followed?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not sure I understand your use case, are you using a server able of supporting 200TB and 250 Users or are you wanting a server which needs to support 200TB and 250 Users?

Synology is likely significantly more friendlier than TrueNAS if this is a home use system, however in a corporate environment TrueNAS is highly configurable. If you have a team of IT people, their job is to figure out how to configure TrueNAS. It isn't that difficult actually but it is more involved than Synology.

TrueNAS started out as a very simple NAS called FreeNAS some 13 years ago? It was a very good home use application. Of course iXsystems had bigger plans and are now one of the leading NAS application companies around. Nope, I don't get paid to say that, although it would be nice. I do need a new vehicle for my retirement.

TrueNAS has also evolved into a Type 1 Hypervisor, this can add to the confusion but you do not have to use it. I personally use ESXi and run TrueNAS on that. That is my personal choice and ESXi is more mature as well.

As I said, it depends on your Use Case, do you need a 250 user system? Personally I'd recommend TrueNAS, do you need a 20 person system for a small company that does not have a dedicated IT workforce, Synology might be right for you. Only you can decide. BUT, if you purchase a TrueNAS system, it does come with from what I hear, good technical support.

If you do use TrueNAS, please read the User Guide at least twice, there is a lot of very good information in there that people do not look for and would rather just ask a question and have us spoon feed them. I call it being lazy. There are a lot of postings and resources on our forum to help a person out.

If you are planning on 200TB storage, you also should be planning for routine automatic backups off-site. Just a little advice.

Hope this answers your questions a little bit.

1.) Either is a good choice and works well. CORE is more mature and reported as faster, more stable, and uses less memory. SCALE has more features, using them adds complexity you might not want if the NAS has very important data.

2.) Both are very friendly for what they do.

3.) The settings are not really more difficult. I use Synology at work and figuring out what setting is stored in what software and what software combinations are needed to do a particular job is irritating, to me it is not straightforward. TrueNAS (CORE and SCALE, I have used both) are initially hard to understand, but to me much simpler to use. They provide fewer features but the features they provide make sense and are easy to use. If I want to add more features I can choose how, unlike Synology that chooses for me.

Synology is excellent, as is TrueNAS, which one to use depends on your needs, which is why I run both, depending on the needs of the location.

I started with SCALE but moved to CORE because I didn't need the features of SCALE and CORE brought even more stability.

ene

Cadet
1.) Her ikisi de iyi bir seçimdir ve iyi çalışır. CORE daha olgundur ve daha hızlı, daha kararlı olduğu ve daha az bellek kullandığı bildirilmektedir. SCALE'in daha fazla özelliği vardır; bunların kullanılması, NAS'ın çok önemli verilere sahip olması durumunda istemeyebileceğiniz karmaşıklığı artırır.

2.) Her ikisi de yaptıkları işte çok arkadaş canlısıdır.

3.) Ayarlar aslında daha zor değil. Synology'yi iş yerinde kullanıyorum ve hangi ayarın hangi yazılımda saklandığını ve belirli bir işi yapmak için hangi yazılım kombinasyonlarının gerekli olduğunu bulmak sinir bozucu, benim için basit değil. TrueNAS'ı (CORE ve SCALE, her ikisini de kullandım) başlangıçta anlamak zor, ancak bana göre kullanımı çok daha basit. Daha az özellik sağlarlar ancak sağladıkları özellikler anlamlıdır ve kullanımı kolaydır. Daha fazla özellik eklemek istersem, benim için seçim yapan Synology'nin aksine, nasıl yapılacağını ben seçebilirim.

Synology ve TrueNAS mükemmeldir; hangisinin kullanılacağı ihtiyaçlarınıza bağlıdır, bu yüzden konumun ihtiyaçlarına bağlı olarak her ikisini de çalıştırıyorum.

SCALE ile başladım ancak CORE'a geçtim çünkü SCALE'in özelliklerine ihtiyacım yoktu ve CORE daha da fazla stabilite getirdi.
Cevaplamaya zaman ayırdığınız için teşekkür ederiz. Biraz araştırma yaptım ve ölçek kullanmanın ilerisi için daha iyi olacağını düşündüm. Kararlılık sorunları muhtemelen zamanla azalacaktır. Bu nedenle daha esnek ölçekle başlamak daha mantıklıdır. Tabii bu tamamen benim görüşüm. Yanlış olabilirim.

NugentS

MVP
गृहस्य उपयोक्तुः कृते Scale इत्यस्य किञ्चित् अधिकं अर्थः भवति - तस्य अधिकं लचीला

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I did some research and thought using a scale would be better for the future. Stability issues will likely lessen over time. Therefore, it makes more sense to start with a more flexible scale. Of course, this is entirely my opinion. I could be wrong.

(ביטע געדענקט צו פּאָסטן אין ענגליש ווייַל עס איז די מערסט פּראָסט שפּראַך און איר נאָר האָבן צו איבערזעצן עס אַמאָל, ווערסעס 200 מענטשן איבערזעצן 194 מאל, און אויב עמעצער קען נישט ענגליש, זיי קענען אויטאָמאַטיש גער די גאנצע פּלאַץ מיט איין באַשטעטיקן)

איך טראַכטן פֿון די היסטארישע אַנטוויקלונג פון BSD, CORE וועט בלייבן מער סטאַביל, און SCALE (באזירט אויף לינוקס) וועט זיין מער שטריך-רייַך כאָטש ניט אַזוי גוט קאָדעד אָדער טעסטעד. עס איז אַ וואָג, ווו די וואָג פונט איז באַשטימט קען השפּעה דיין באַשלוס.

(please remember to post in English as it is the most common language and you only have to translate it once, verses 200 people translating 194 times, and if someone doesn't know English they can auto-convert the whole site with one setting)

I think from the historical development of BSD, CORE will remain more stable, and SCALE (based on Linux) will be more feature-rich though not as well coded or tested. It is a balance, where the balance point is set may influence your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: ene