Read & Writes Not Exceeding 20MB

So I recently built my TrueNas Server in order to do some video editing. The Read & writes are painfully slow (~15MB Read & writes) and I can't seem to find any help online about what the issue could be. Here is the System I built

TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8350K
MB: GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370
RAM: Silicon Power 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 2666
Intel Optaine 58GB Cache SSD
5x Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 | ST4000NM0035 | 4TB 7.2K RPM 128MB Cache 3.5in SATA 6Gb/s

I was able to set up a basic SMB share as well as a Iscusi Drive with the help of some YT tutorials but other than that I really have very little knowledge of the more technical aspects of TrueNAS. This is my first time even working with a NAS. I have Cat 6 running from my computer to my Router then to my NAS but there is an NETGEAR - powerline 2000 between mt Computer & router.

appreciate any help on this

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I see a number of problems here.
  • Structural problem first: Do. Not. Go. To. Youtube. For. Advice. The signal to noise ratio is horrible.
  • The powerline: is that connection even capable of more than 20 MB/s? You will want to test the network connection between client and server using iperf.
  • Video editing... Meaning what, exactly? Are you moving files from server to client and back, trying to stream video directly from the server, editing files in place, ...
  • iSCSI - why do you need it in this scenario? It's slower than file sharing and more painful to manage.

So I tried to run iperf but it won't run on my computer for some reason. Tried compatibility and can't seem to get working. I was moving some large video files to the server where I noticed the R/W speed. when I load those files in Adobe Premiere Pro they seem to work just fine to work with. And the reason I set up a iSCSI drive is I saw someone on YT use TrueNas to make a games library for their desk top and I thought it was a cool thing to do so I made a drive share to test it out. I even tested Red Dead Redemption from that share and aside from the load times being painfully slow the game ran fine. To clarify I have a regular SMB file share for files & I have a iSCSI share. I only have only one pool however. The powerline shows its rated for up to 2000MB so I assume that it should be able to handle at least above 100mb which is what I get when I run an network test.

Update, I read on another form a suggestion of going to System>advanced and clicking AutoTune. After a reset I got this
1678240721483.png

not great but much better than b4

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And the reason I set up a iSCSI drive is I saw someone on YT

No chance this will work well. See

You have a quarter of the minimum necessary memory and presumably RAIDZsomething on your 5 drives.

ChrisRJ

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The powerline shows its rated for up to 2000MB so I assume that it should be able to handle at least above 100mb which is what I get when I run an network test.
Yeah, don't assume that. Much like WiFi, the big number on the box is wildly optimistic.
So I tried to run iperf but it won't run on my computer for some reason.
On Windows, you can try jperf, which adds a GUI. Use iperf on the server as normal.

So couple of replies,
first when I ran Jperf this is what I got, not sure what I need to do in order to fix this as I am still able to read & write just fine from it.
1678282614428.png

2nd here are the tutorials I used to set up my truenas

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
first when I ran Jperf this is what I got, not sure what I need to do in order to fix this as I am still able to read & write just fine from it.
Did you run iperf3 -s first on the server so it's waiting to connect in server mode?

So couple of replies,
here are the tutorials I used to set up my truenas
I like Craft Computing, but realize he's doing fun edge systems, not production-level systems. Think of it this way:
  1. Datacenter
  2. Large Corporate IT
  3. Corporate IT
  4. Company IT
  5. Small Company IT
  6. Home System
  7. Experimental Systems
  8. Entertainment
Craft Computing is #7, TrueNAS is #1, like Microsoft Windows Server - Datacenter Edition. No kidding, it's like buying a mining dump-truck: no where near the same as a pickup truck from an ownership standpoint.

Linus Tech Tips? OH COME ON!!!! That guy has lost his own company's data 4 or 5 times! That's what NOT to do! Vendors black-list him and won't let Linus Media Group buy their products because he makes them look bad due to his company's ill-advised installation and illogical shortcuts. HE CAN'T EVEN HOLD ONTO THINGS WITHOUT DROPPING THEM!!! (Although he's quite entertaining and I enjoy watching his stuff.) Seriously, he's only slightly better than watching Disclosure as a TrueNAS tutorial.

If you want to run TrueNAS, which is an excellent middle-ware by iXsystems, Read The F-ing Manual.

Yellow/orange Download button, upper-right side of the screen:

CORE is more stable, so you might choose that:
The CORE hardware recommendations are under Documentation - FreeNAS (use the menu bar across the top of this screen), Chapter 1.4:

There's possibly a CORE Beginner's Guide, I was only able to find SCALE (I run SCALE, but that doesn't mean it's the best choice):

Last edited:

sretalla