Need help with Slow Read/Writes from Computer

NubCak

Cadet
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my gaming rig which had an old case full of drives, so I looked at ways to utilize them.

So i hobbled together a old rig to run TrueNas, i know not ideal.

The specs:
I7-970
Sabertooth X58 TUF motherboard
22 gbs of ram in triple channel
intel SSD for boot

3x 4tb Seagate Ironwolfs in RaidZ1

The issue i'm experiencing is that, whenever i transfer files from my computer into truenas, the write speeds are god awful, like its ~35MB/s and the read speeds are around ~55MB/s as per the Windows files transfer display.

Initially I had set this up using 3x4TB Seagate Barracuda drives which i know are SMR drives which i thought was the issue initially, so i quickly tossed those into another rig running Unraid instead. So i proceed to setup a pool with the new ironwolfs, and then transferred the files from the Barracudas into the Ironwolfs and saw transfer speeds of ~150MB/s which should be the performance I was expecting.

And for good measure i also changed out the NIC to a Startech ST1000SPEX2 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Network Card that is supported in the FREEBSD compatibility page, which has the Realtek RTL8111E chip.

No change in transfer speeds after any of the above changes.

My computer is hooked up to the network as follows:

Computer into DECO XE75, to modem all via gigabit ports
TrueNAS connected directed into modem.

What i'm thinking next is to connect the Deco XE75 and the TrueNAS to an unmanaged 4 port gigabit switch.

Or am i missing something here?

Please help.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sabertooth X58 TUF motherboard
And for good measure i also changed out the NIC to a Startech ST1000SPEX2 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Network Card that is supported in the FREEBSD compatibility page, which has the Realtek RTL8111E chip.

So you replaced the crappy on-board Realtek with the worst Realtek known on the planet, and it didn't work well...?

The FreeBSD compatibility page is not the place to look for TrueNAS compatible hardware. Those Realteks have very bad drivers, if they're even legitimate silicon, and are barely suitable for web browsing, if even that. You can put in "Realtek" into the search bar here in the forums and see that LOTS of people experience catastrophic performance with these. Along the way, you will likely see many recommendations to replace the card with an Intel Desktop CT ethernet card, being sure that you get an actual legitimate one, not a knockoff from Amazon or eBay, and your network will perform much better.

awasb

Patron
„Realtek“ is an old word from the Altaic language family and means "All your base are belong to us, longnose".

NubCak

Cadet
I forgot to mention though, when i ran OpenSpeedTest plugin, i was able to get about 700mbps from the internet.

So is the network card still at fault here?

I got the network card based off of others who had success running it in TrueNas 8+

Problem is I checked all my local stores, nobody has an intel network card in stock.