Question: Building a FreeNAS Server to support 5 Windoze VMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I'm not a networking guru nor do I have any experience running a server farm, network center, or anything like that. My only experience is running VMs on VMWare Workstation on my main computer and I have booted up VMWare ESXi and creating/loading VMs was a breeze. My hardware was an old machine which is now my firewall so I'll need to purchase some new hardware for this adventure.

My goal is to create a server, preferably on FreeNAS (maybe FreeNAS 10) but I guess I could build a new server and host it on ESXi, but I want to be able to log into a VDI machine from within my home (I'll worry about remote access at a later date) and have all my family members have their own machines. I would be able to apply updates and ensure viruses are kept at bay, etc... I have tried something similar where I created three Windoze 7 VMs on ESXi and had RDP enabled, then I could use RDP to get to each VM, but that is not the same as a VDI, just similar.

So I guess I'm looking for advice and pointers for how to achieve this type of system. For now it's a learning experience, then additional hardware will come.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nobody ever helped you!? You've got almost 4k posts and not one person offered a response!

To be honest, I'd wait until FreeNAS 10. If bhyve is as good as it is being made out to be, you can run your VMs directly on your FreeNAS similar to how virtualbox works, but bhyve is supposed to be much faster/better/stronger/etc and doesn't have all of the weird issues that the virtualbox jail has.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I plan to wait until FreeNAS 10. I have ideas on how to do this task and if I need to go it alone, well I can do that. I for one am not afraid of screwing up and learning at the same time. Taking the easy way out is just lost opportunity. I also understand I will need to create a faster drive arrangement and for this I might just create a mirrored SSD pair to start with as my VM pool. I think VDI is the way to go so more investigation on my part, and maybe purchase a book or two (like the old days).

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
There's a pretty big difference between "standing up a few Windows VMs and using RDP" and a proper "full VDI deployment" involving deploying from base images and using PCoIP terminals. Both in terms of maintenance/upkeep and the licensing cost if you're going commercial.

I think there may still be a free license if XenDesktop, but your only way to get VMware View would be via the VMUG Advantage program at USD$200/yr. And that's technically supposed to be for learning only.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well I have thought this may be a bit over what I want to spend. I was hoping to get into VDI but maybe it's best to just host a few VMs and use RDP but I'm still going to try to establish a VDI, if nothing other than just to see if I can do it, but it will have to be free or close to free.

Status
Not open for further replies.