Qemu Guest Agent in TrueNAS SCALE?

thomas-hn

Explorer
Hi,

in multiple threads in this forum it is mentioned that for virtualizing TrueNAS on Proxmox (even if not recommended) the Qemu Guest Agent is required to allow the correct shutdown of the TrueNAS VM (as well as some more features).

For TrueNAS CORE we have some ressources for the Qemu Guest Agent here:
https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/qemu-guest-agent.167/
https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/qemu-guest-agent.91764/
(Is my assumption correct that the pre-build Qemu Guest Agent, available under the link above, is only for CORE (FreeBSD) and not for SCALE (Debian)?)

On another source (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/install-qemu-guest-agent-on-truenas.83565/#post-375016) is mentioned:
TrueNAS SCALE has the qemu guest agent preinstalled
  • Is this information correct?
  • Does this mean, that a virtualized TrueNAS SCALE (on top of Proxmox) does not need any manual installation of the Qemu Guest Agent inside the virtualized TrueNAS SCALE VM?
  • Or does it only mean, that TrueNAS SCALE brings the Qemu Guest Agent with it to provide it to guests running on SCALE?
  • If the Qemu Guest Agent is delivered with SCALE to virtualize SCALE, does this mean that the virtualization of SCALE on KVM-based hypervisors is officially supported?
Thanks,

Thomas

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
The qemu-guest-agent is loaded by default on SCALE. This means if you are running TrueNAS SCALE as a VM on proxmox, it'll detect that and the guest agent can run to do its thing. Due to how ZFS and disks work, we do not officially recommend running TrueNAS virtualized, but we know lots of folks do it already quite successfully ;)

thomas-hn

Explorer
Due to how ZFS and disks work, we do not officially recommend running TrueNAS virtualized
Do you see big (potential) issues if the HBA is completely passed through to another Hypervisor (Proxmox)? If TrueNAS has complete access to the HBA it should work fine, correctly?

b4st1en

Cadet
Do you see big (potential) issues if the HBA is completely passed through to another Hypervisor (Proxmox)? If TrueNAS has complete access to the HBA it should work fine, correctly?
I use Proxmox, running on some PCIE NVME SSD, and using PCI passthrough to give the control of the SATA controler to TrueNAS SCALE guest (as NVME is not managed by the SATA controller) and I do not have issues (yet ?)

b4st1en

Cadet
I use Proxmox, running on some PCIE NVME SSD, and using PCI passthrough to give the control of the SATA controler to TrueNAS SCALE guest (as NVME is not managed by the SATA controller) and I do not have issues (yet ?)
Sorry.. one issue : the shutdown that ends in infinite loop..
(but as it is not intented to be shutdown on a regular basis, I do not really care)

b4st1en

Cadet
Sorry.. one issue : the shutdown that ends in infinite loop..
(but as it is not intented to be shutdown on a regular basis, I do not really care)
That being solved by setting QEMU Guest Agent to Enabled, using VirtIO (and that was also the topic of this thread)S
Sorry for multiple messages... cannot edit own messages xD

weskezm99

Cadet
For anyone else that is having issues with this: don't worry about any service or systemctl potential issues. Mine said the process was dead and when I would try to start or enable it I would get errors like dependencies missing, etc. Turns out- none of it matters.

All I had to do was enable the guest agent controls inside of proxmox and reboot and now everything seems to be working.