Resource icon

QEMU Guest Agent 2021-03-11

fsociety3765

Explorer
fsociety3765 submitted a new resource:

QEMU Guest Agent - Pre-built QEMU guest agent for TrueNAS

DISCLAIMER:
Under no circumstances will I be held responsible or liable in any way for any claims, damages, losses,
expenses, costs, or liabilities whatsoever (including, without limitation, any direct or indirect damages for loss of profits, business interruption, or loss of information) resulting from or arising directly or indirectly from your use of these files and/or the instructions within this post.

Credit to @Tomek_ for the...

Read more about this resource...

mrdindon

Cadet
I know this is probably basic for many of us but I think you should add to make executable the agent :

Code:
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/qemu-ga
chmod +x /sourcepath/qemu-guest-agent

fsociety3765

Explorer
Glad people are finding it useful.

I wasn't aware about making those files executable. It’s not something I did and it’s still working.

Is this something that only the people who download it will need to do perhaps?

mrdindon

Cadet

I wasn't aware about making those files executable. It’s not something I did and it’s still working.

I can't tell but I think it definitely should.

Lefuneste

Cadet
Unfortunately the agent is not working anymore in TrueNAS-13.0-RELEASE (CORE)
When doing

kldload virtio_console.ko

I get

pid 1328 (syslog-ng), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
KLD virtio_console.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/modules/virtio_console.ko - unsupported file type

Which seems due to a discrepancy between the module and the kernel as stated here :

A recompile against latest kernel version seems required.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately the agent is not working anymore in TrueNAS-13.0-RELEASE (CORE)
When doing

kldload virtio_console.ko

I get

pid 1328 (syslog-ng), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
KLD virtio_console.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/modules/virtio_console.ko - unsupported file type

Which seems due to a discrepancy between the module and the kernel as stated here :

A recompile against latest kernel version seems required.
That's because /boot/modules/virtio_console.ko isn't packaged with TrueNAS 13.0-RELEASE. It's also not compiled-in, from what I can tell by running sysctl -a | grep virtio.

Lefuneste

Cadet
Is there any chance of someone being able to address this issue ? Guest agent integration was working extremely well prior to 13.0. It is quite a bummer to have lost this integration.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Is there any chance of someone being able to address this issue ? Guest agent integration was working extremely well prior to 13.0. It is quite a bummer to have lost this integration.

None of the moderators on this forum can help. Use the Report a Bug link to send a report to the developers.

zamana

Contributor
It was reported?

I'm interested on this also.

baggis

Cadet
this is maby a dumb question.... but how do i transfer the files?
im useing filezilla, but only the virtio file is accepted? the other files just failed to transfer

jhollowe

Cadet
If you are trying to use filezilla to put them in their final place, destination permissions might be the issue. Try copying the files to your home directory (or somewhere else you have permission to create files) and then sudo cp the files into their final destinations

I just found your thread and finally got this set up on my TrueNAS servers.

I wrote a script to do the whole thing. Do you mind if I make it public on GitHub?

Deeda

Explorer
Works great, thanks. I was wondering if I should make a feature request for this to be included? Or is that being naive? If not supported by FreeBSD out of the box, does that make it more difficult to include with a default TrueNAS Core install?

Roopee

Cadet
Unfortunately it didn't work for me on TrueNAS-13.0-U5.1 running on PVE 7.4-16 using the resources above and these installation instructions precisely (I put qemu-guest-agent in /usr/sbin for the cp command since it didn't say/matter exactly where, and set permissions to -r-xr-xr-x)

While checking/trying to troubleshoot I tried starting the qemu-guest-agent service at the console as root and got:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/qemu-guest-agent: WARNING: failed to start qemu-guest-agent

If anyone has any troubleshooting ideas I'd be interested, but it isn't critical since as far as I can tell TrueNAS does shutdown or reboot properly when PVE tells it to (is there a way to check definitively?) - perhaps because the VM is using CPU=host?

Deeda

Explorer
Heya Roopee, I have it working on TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3 and PVE PVE 7.4-16. Did you use the updated versions from jhollowe's post above?