Pushing SMB large multi-gigabyte files TO the NAS causes a large transfer to slow and then fail.

SpiritWolf

Dabbler
Pushing SMB large multi-gigabyte files TO the NAS causes a large transfer (via 2.5 network interface (intel) or single gig interface (Asus/Realtek) then dropping off.

Start of transfer, push from Mac or PC, 300MB/sec. After about 1 minute, 100, then 70/80MBS, then down to 1MB or so into the Kbytes. Often it disconnects.
Different Mobos (another Asus) different ethernet connections both fast and standard, they all fail.

Test Files: AntMan 4k rip 55gig (compressed as a zip)
Other files but not compressed, doesn't matter as much but will still exhibit

Smaller Files (seems that these do better)
Will come back to speed IF manually copied smaller files come afterward AND it doesn’t disconnect.

Happens with PC and MAC, using 2.5 from *original* tested Mobo (Asus internal REALTEK) or SFP+ 10Gig to Unify switch or combo or Macintosh 2.5 dongle.
The ONLY things not changed out are the RAM sticks and the Processor. Even the switches have been changed.

When connection fails, can’t re-connect w/o resetting CIFS/SMB or rebooting. Typically need to reboot. Reboot can take many minutes.
Deprecated protocol AFP will work…but weakly

———————————————————

TrueNAS 13-U2

Motherboard
: Asus B-550 Plus AC-HES w/ current BIOS (tweaks perhaps?)
CPU: Ryzen 5600x 6 cores
Memory: 64 Gig ECC TrueColor 3200

Nics:
10Gb SFP+ PCI-E Network Card NIC, Compare to Intel X520-DA1, with Intel 82599EN Chip, Single SFP+ Port, PCI Express X8
...and
10Gtech 10GBase-T SFP+ Transceiver, 10G T, 10G Copper, RJ-45 SFP+ CAT.6a Module, to 2.5 switch (Mac, PC, and TrueNAS with 2.5 connection to Unifi 48 port switch for general distribution,
…and
Asus Realtek Gig MoBo Ethernet (Attached to Unify 48 port 1st Gen Switch but not always: sometimes use just the 2.5 connection alone)

HBA Card:
9207-8i PCIE3.0 6Gbps HBA LSI FW:P20 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2* SFF-8087 US
(Attached to SODOLA 8-Port Unmanaged 2.5G Switch| 8 x 2.5GBASE-T Ports)

Drives: 5x Exos 18Tib RAID-Z2

GPU Radeon (used to just to see when output is wrong), not installed usually
PSU: Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM750x, 750 Watt, Gold, Fully Modular Power Supply

testparam-s attached

Attachments

• testparam-s.txt
    3 KB · Views: 185
Ive had this very issue sometime very long ago and its maddening, but I think it ended up being a faulty disk causing zfs cache to fill up and not empty. In fact I found my post from 2015 on this. But we have seen plenty of this over the years and almost certainly a caching issue of some sort. Alot of this was flying around when the WD Red debacle was happening with the shady SMR disks. People did not realize that the disks were crap until large data moves were made, resilvering, scrubbing, large data transfers, etc.. Exos are enterprise disks so I doubt that's the issue, but I would test them all thoroughly anyways.

SpiritWolf

Dabbler
Ive had this very issue sometime very long ago and its maddening, but I think it ended up being a faulty disk causing zfs cache to fill up and not empty. In fact I found my post from 2015 on this. But we have seen plenty of this over the years and almost certainly a caching issue of some sort. Alot of this was flying around when the WD Red debacle was happening with the shady SMR disks. People did not realize that the disks were crap until large data moves were made, resilvering, scrubbing, large data transfers, etc.. Exos are enterprise disks so I doubt that's the issue, but I would test them all thoroughly anyways.
Ok.. Duly noted. Now...as Im a relitive tyro on this, how do I follow up and see? no SMART notifications have I on this so how would I track this down? At the moment, anything pushed to the device is fine for the first few gigabytes and then slows to a trickle (KiB!).

SpiritWolf

Dabbler
Hmm.. Being so new, I've made PLENTY of mistakes.
I was still getting this:
1671163544859.png

The data to the server was good for about 5 gigs and then would peter off into never-never land for about 20 seconds or so, then do another ramp.

II also did a "zpool iostat -v" and the results were this:
1671163937287.png

Going further with my research, the gstat was VERY informative:
1671163793341.png

and my pool is getting hit HARD with ~20ms latency.

That's where I think I'm getting killed. I'm not sure how quite to interpret this, but Im' learning.

Would a couple of Optane drives as a SLOG solve this issue?

Thanx ahead of time :)

Attachments

• 1671163520959.png
    1671163520959.png
    7 KB · Views: 112

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Would a couple of Optane drives as a SLOG solve this issue?

No, why would it? If you are laboring under some incorrect understanding that the SLOG is some sort of cache, please disabuse yourself of that notion. Check out

and please accept my assurances that if you turn off sync writes, your pool is going to be as fast as it can be; adding a SLOG will ALWAYS slow a pool down when compared to a pool that has sync writes disabled.

and my pool is getting hit HARD with ~20ms latency.

Yes. So what? A common hard drive is able to do about 50-150 IOPS (seeks) per second. At 20ms, 50 IOPS would be 1 second, so your drives are maybe just performing on the lower end of that curve. RAIDZ is never that performant, so this doesn't come as a shock to me.

SpiritWolf

Dabbler
1671164363946.png

No, why would it? If you are laboring under some incorrect understanding that the SLOG is some sort of cache, please disabuse yourself of that notion. Check out

I'm reading it...slow going to a newb. But consider me disabused.
and please accept my assurances that if you turn off sync writes, your pool is going to be as fast as it can be; adding a SLOG will ALWAYS slow a pool down when compared to a pool that has sync writes disabled.
Ok...that's easy to understand. So what are the downsides of disabling sync writes? And how is it done?
Yes. So what? A common hard drive is able to do about 50-150 IOPS (seeks) per second. At 20ms, 50 IOPS would be 1 second, so your drives are maybe just performing on the lower end of that curve. RAIDZ is never that performant, so this doesn't come as a shock to me.
Allow it to be a shock to me. That's what happens when one learns, Mr. Grinch. :)

What would allow me to be data-safe AND get the performance out of my hardware? What tweaks would you recommend? I suppose I can always return the dual P-series Optane units I've asked for...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So what are the downsides of disabling sync writes? And how is it done?

There's a per-dataset flag you can set, like "zfs set sync=disabled [yourdatasethere]"

So sync writes are important. Maybe. Sometimes. Not always.

Consider the case where you are JPMorgan Chase Bank. Picked only because they're the largest US bank, no negative inferences should be made.

You have stored your customer ledger on a ZFS based filesystem. It's the middle of the night, and ACH transactions are flowing in from the Fed. You get a transaction that says "Deposit $1000 to SpiritWolf from WolfEmployerCo". So you go into your database, read the current balance, record the transaction, add $1000 to the balance, but just as you're writing that back to disk, the system crashes, or a goober hits RESET, or power goes out, or a tornado hits the building.

So with ZFS, your write cache is in memory, and that update to the disk vanishes, along with your paycheck or reimbursement, even though it shows up as a line in your ledger.

The purpose of the ZIL (ZFS Intent Log) is to make a record of the write prior to having it committed to the main pool. When the system comes back up, events in the ZIL are then replayed to make sure they got committed to the pool. This offers programmers a guarantee that if the system returned from the write() syscall successfully, the data was ACTUALLY stored and can be relied upon to be retrieved correctly. You want for your bank balance to be reliably stored and retrieved correctly.

But the in-pool ZIL is slow as hell. So we have this option for a device called SLOG. It can keep track of the sync writes at a very fast clip, nearly the speed of your SLOG device. So if you need sync writes, SLOG is a speed accelerator (but still not a cache).

This can also come into play if you are running VM's on another machine and using the NAS for storage.

Allow it to be a shock to me. That's what happens when one learns, Mr. Grinch. :)

Well, to be honest, I wasn't real happy with that line either. It feels a little too slow, especially since it is unlikely that the IOPS are quite that low. If we look at the line for da2 in your screen shot, that shows 108 reads per second at 20ms, but also significant writes per second. The problem is that a lot of these reads and writes can be sequential in nature, so if you asked to read sectors 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, that would only be one seek to get there but five reads. That's five IOPS by some definitions, though I prefer to think of an IO as a seek event (since that dominates performance on HDD's).

What would allow me to be data-safe AND get the performance out of my hardware?

Depends on what you're doing, unfortunately. With RAIDZ in play, be sure you are trying to store large files, not small files. That will make a big difference. Adding more memory might be advisable if you are finding read speeds to be poor, you can check the output of arc_summary to get a better idea there. If that's still not enough read speed, main memory ARC can be augmented with L2ARC (flash).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So what are the downsides of disabling sync writes? And how is it done?

Maybe useful also to answer that and expand on the explanation already provided, the type of transactions you're running are important.

If you're copying around large media files, then sync writes aren't really helping you a lot, since if there's a cut/crash in the middle of the transfer, you can just do it again when the system comes back, so the guarantee that every block is actually on the disk before allowing the request for the next one to go ahead is just slowing things down in your case.

For database or bank transactions where individual blocks can be very important in a constantly changing file, sync writes matter a lot.

So for fast storage (nvme mirror) of VMs, that are running lots of databases, where does it leave me? Sync on or off? And I'm no bank nor a business...

sretalla