Problems with import and new volume build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I had a FreeNAS running with 6x2TB wd HDDs. Had a Z2 pool on them. All worked well, and I had a usb copy made(mirrord a boot device - maybe the wrong way). When the usb went wrong, I reinstalled a fresh copy on new usb (bkp also didn't boot) and restored the pool. I used zpool import -f ID command, and I could access data.

Then I decided to move hdds to new MB into a new chassis. Installed freenas FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 and I was happy to see my pool and tried to import it the same way. Import from gui shows no volumes, Import from shell was successful, but volume doesn't show in GUI. Also after import when i user zfs mount it mouts the volume to /Volume... but maybe I got parameters wrong.

Then I wanted to wipe disks and start new. It was just a test storage.

Creating volume gives me an error Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada0"

I cannot do wipe - Error: Failed to wipe ada0p2: dd: /dev/ada0p2: Operation not permitted
I tried

sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0 bs=512 count=1 from forum, no error, no result - still can't wipe or create new volume.

So now I am stuck. I went through manual, FAQ, and searched the forum, but no luck. No answers solves or explains my situation :(

From /var/log/messages : freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord
but this is not a critical error as I understand.

Thank you very much

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I used zpool import -f ID command
Did you try importing with the GUI first? Importing via the CLI should be a last resort.
Import from gui shows no volumes, Import from shell was successful, but volume doesn't show in GUI.
That's because the GUI doesn't know what you did at the CLI. The solution is to export from the CLI and then import from the GUI. This would also fix the mountpoint issue.
Creating volume gives me an error Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada0"

I cannot do wipe
FreeNAS sees the remains of a pool on the disks and refuses to trash it. To dig yourself out of this hole, you need to zpool labelclear the disks from the CLI, or failing that, just wipe them (i.e. some other disk wiping tool, not the FreeNAS disk wipe).

Did you try importing with the GUI first? Importing via the CLI should be a last resort.

That's because the GUI doesn't know what you did at the CLI. The solution is to export from the CLI and then import from the GUI. This would also fix the mountpoint issue.

FreeNAS sees the remains of a pool on the disks and refuses to trash it. To dig yourself out of this hole, you need to zpool labelclear the disks from the CLI, or failing that, just wipe them (i.e. some other disk wiping tool, not the FreeNAS disk wipe).

Yes I tried import from gui first - but volume was not listed. That's how I found CLI import method on forum.

I will try zpool labelclear, or wiping disks outside of FreeNAS

Thanks for your help

Hello again,

I did wipe outside freenas - no problem, then i tried to wipe disks in FreeNAS - no problem.
But, when i try to create new volume:
Code:
Nov 10 01:21:41 freenas devd: Executing 'logger -p kern.notice -t ZFS 'vdev stat
e changed, pool_guid=16956450580244043260 vdev_guid=12470392391318055014''	
Nov 10 01:21:42 freenas ZFS: vdev state changed, pool_guid=16956450580244043260
vdev_guid=12470392391318055014												
Nov 10 01:21:42 freenas notifier: vfs.zfs.vdev.larger_ashift_minimal: 0 -> 1	
Nov 10 01:21:42 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError:
Unable to create the pool: cannot open '/dev/gptid/1753cdf9-a727-11e6-ac9c-e0cb4
e196454': No such file or directory, ]								  

Here is some HW and system info:

Build

FreeNAS-9.10.1-U4 (ec9a7d3)

Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

Memory 8162MB

Not sure how to proceed now :( I was sure I will have no problem after disk wipe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.