SOLVED format/wipe error with NVMe SSD

digity

Contributor
I'm trying to add a NVMe drive (Micron MAX 9200 1.6 TB NVMe U.2 SSD) as a SLOG drive, but I keep getting the following error:

Code:
FAILED

[EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk nvd0: [EFAULT] Command dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvd0p1 bs=1M count=32 failed (code 1): dd: /dev/nvd0p1: Input/output error 1+0 records in 0+0 records out 0 bytes transferred in 0.000485 secs (0 bytes/sec) 

*yes, the drive is too big for a SLOG - it's temporary until I replace it with a smaller NVMe one*

I get the same error when trying to (quick) wipe it manually via Storage -> Disks -> nvd0 -> WIPE. The drive [quick] formatted with no problems in SystemRescueCD/Arch Linux and Windows 10 before putting it in TrueNAS.

Any ideas?

digity

Contributor
Okay, to troubleshoot I booted into SystemRescueCD, cleared the partition table with gparted (it was previously formatted as NTFS), booted back into TrueNAS and when I try to add the NVMe drive as a SLOG drive, I now get this error:

Code:
FAILED

[EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk nvd0: [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/nvd0 failed (code 1): gpart: Operation not permitted

digity

Contributor
SOLVED. The drive was formatted with a GPT partition. I changed it to MBR (labeled "ms-dos" in gparted), booted back into TrueNAS and I was then able to add the NVMe drive as a SLOG.

Now that I think of it, I've run into this issue multiple times before with FreeNAS/TrueNAS where I couldn't create pools or add drives (any kind of drive, not just NVMe) to a pool drive because they were formatted as GPT. The boot drive and existing drives in pools are all GPT yet it has trouble adding GPT drives. Weird. Anyhoo, setting the partition to MBR beforehand works best when creating pools and adding drives (doesn't need to have a formatted partition, can be unallocated with MBR).

Last edited:

jhavron

Cadet
SOLVED. The drive was formatted with a GPT partition. I changed it to MBR (labeled "ms-dos" in gparted), booted back into TrueNAS and I was then able to add the NVMe drive as a SLOG.

Now that I think of it, I've run into this issue multiple times before with FreeNAS/TrueNAS where I couldn't create pools or add drives (any kind of drive, not just NVMe) to a pool drive because they were formatted as GPT. The boot drive and existing drives in pools are all GPT yet it has trouble adding GPT drives. Weird. Anyhoo, setting the partition to MBR beforehand works best when creating pools and adding drives (doesn't need to have a formatted partition, can be unallocated with MBR).
Thanks for this bit of information. I got a similar problem I'm working on right now. A nvme m.2 on a pcie adapter in a PowerEdge running Scale. It said 250 GB yesterday and after a couple reboots reads as 1 GB.